Baked Popcorn Tofu! Entertaining or having friends over? Or, simply want to put together a delicious snack board? Change it up a little and give this Baked Popcorn Tofu a try!
I have become obsessed with food boards. Snack boards, veggie boards, cheese boards, charcuterie boards. . you name it, I’ve done it. There’s something about having a variety of foods, all either bite sized or foods you can eat with your hands, all arranged beautifully on a wood board. I also love the aspect of community and sharing when eating.
Since moving to Wisconsin, my charcuterie game has improved big time. Wisconsin knows how to put together a fantastic charcuterie and cheese board. Cured meats, cheeses, nuts, almonds, fruit, jams, marmalades and pickled everything. I love the balance of creamy and salty and sour and all of the different textures.
My family and I love tofu. One day, when I was putting together the most epic snack board, and the idea came to me: Popcorn Tofu. With seasoned panko and baked to perfection, these bite sized nuggets of deliciousness satisfied everyone. Even my kids gobbled these down!
I love some heat so I loved the spicy dipping sauce but my kids dipped their Popcorn Tofu into barbecue sauce and ranch dressing. These Popcorn Tofu Bites were a great addition to the raw veggies and fruit and this board and this even served as a light meal one Saturday night. We, of course, had family movie night and also ate some popcorn and cookies later .. for dessert, as my daughter Madeline says. Popcorn and cookies for dessert.
The key to my Popcorn Tofu is seasoning everything. Seasoning the flour and the panko! And the dipping sauces! You have to have a variety right? I used Nasoya’s Organic Extra Firm Tofu and it worked beautifully. Nasoya® Extra Firm Tofu is easy to cut into bite-size pieces and is perfect for stir-fries and other dishes where you want a firmer texture! We love it!
When working with tofu, you must drain and then press the tofu to get all the water out. You’ll get the best popcorn tofu if your tofu is as dry as it can be. Then, simply, cube it up, set up your dredging station and get going! Get your kids to help you!
Entertaining or having friends over? Or, simply want to put together a snack board? Change it up a little and give this Popcorn Tofu a try!
- 1 package (14 oz.) Nasoya Organic Extra Firm Tofu, drained and pressed
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 4 tablespoons Japanese mayonnaise
- 3 to 4 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- After you have drained and pressed your tofu, cut the tofu into cubes. Prep three bowls for the dredging: the flour and season with a pinch of salt and pepper, the eggs and the panko. Season the panko with the smoked paprika and a pinch of salt and pepper and mix together.
- Dip each tofu cube in this order: in the flour, then the eggs and then in the panko. Once each piece of tofu is complete, place onto the lined baking sheet. Repeat until finished with all of the tofu. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Using a small mixing bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients. Sprinkle on some toasted sesame seeds if desired. Serve with the Popcorn Tofu.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post in partnership with Nasoya Tofu. All opinions expressed here are my own.