Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with chocolate ganache! Made with almond milk, coconut oil, coconut sugar and more, you won’t believe these are dairy and egg free!
Yesterday was kind of awesome.
Ever since taking and returning from Helene’s photography and food styling workshop, I’ve been shopping. Shopping for new props and dishes, boards (basically flat surfaces that I shoot on) and anything that I think might add something to one of my photos.
My new boards arrived yesterday (one is featured above) and I couldn’t wait to shoot on them. I also got these chocolates in the mail, cocoa powder, chocolate bars and chocolate chips so these cupcakes had to happen.
Plus, Valentine’s Day is next week!
For me, chocolate is a must on Valentine’s Day. Chocolates in a heart shaped box and chocolate cake.
These cupcakes were so tasty!! I didn’t know what to expect but after I made the chocolate ganache, using coconut milk, maple syrup and chocolate, I was sold. This ganache was so smooth, silky and delicious, I think I actually liked this better than using heavy cream!
And the Maldon sea salt flakes. Oh Lord.
Sweet and a little salty always wins in my book. These are the best cupcakes ever! If your Valentine likes chocolate, you must bake these! Vegan or not!
If you don’t have time to throw your can of coconut milk in the fridge, you can use a cup of the coconut milk, straight from the can. However, I found that if you do get your coconut milk to separate and just use the thickened coconut cream on the top, (what you would use to make coconut whipped cream), it makes for a richer, tastier and super glossy ganache! I hope you try it!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups almond milk, at room temperature + more if needed
- ⅔ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups coconut sugar
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped finely
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, the coconut cream part only*
- 3 to 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- Flaky sea salt; optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line your cupcake pan or muffin tin with liners and set aside.
- Using a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Using a separate bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar and the milk until it's slightly frothy. Whisk in the melted coconut oil, vanilla, and sugar.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined, being careful not to over mix the cake batter. Add more almond milk to the cake batter if it looks too thick. Mix until incorporated. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Place chocolate in a mixing bowl. Set aside. Using a small saucepan over medium low heat, stir the coconut cream and maple syrup together and bring to a very gentle boil just for a couple of minutes. Pour this mixture over the chocolate and whisk together until all of the chocolate is melted and is smooth.
- To assemble:
- Using an offset spatula, or back of a spoon, spread the ganache over each cooled cupcake. Your ganache should be thick enough to where it does not run off the cupcake. Top with flaky sea salt if desired. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from here.
And for a limited time, try Ghirardelli’s Strawberries & Chocolate SQUARES! “This is inspired by everyone’s favorite chocolate-dipped strawberries. Ghirardelli brought together the merriment of chocolate + strawberries for this new perfect for the perfect combination of rich, slow-melting milk chocolate and white chocolate layers infused with delicious strawberry bits. These are available exclusively at Target nationwide:
- New! Ghirardelli SQUARES Bag for $4.49/5.4oz
- New! Ghirardelli Heart Gift box for $4.99/3.3oz
Disclosure: This is not a sponsored post!