Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins!!! Bursting with fresh, plump, juicy blueberries and packed with lemon zest and coconut sugar, these muffins are just the thing to bake this summer!
Happy Monday everyone!
I’m super late in getting this post up today. I had way too much fun yesterday . . I attended an event last night at my local Sur La Table and got to demo the new KitchenAid Spiralizer attachment and make my cauliflower pesto.
It was a private event for all the social media influencers in Madison and we had such a great time! And this happened. I’m always late to the game but when I finally heard about the Running Man Challenge, we had to do it!
How was everyone’s weekend? Ours was jam packed and the fun is not going to stop because the family and I are headed to Des Moines, Iowa this weekend!!! The Greater Des Moines Convention & Visitors Bureau invited us to explore Des Moines and eat and drink our way around the city so we are so excited! Be sure to follow me on Snapchat (hipfoodiemom1). . where I’ll be sharing all the fun!
It’s summer so my fridge is packed with berries. Like, all the time. so, on Saturday, my youngest requested blueberry muffins!
I’ve made these muffins with regular all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour and now this flour! Next up, I will have to try a combination of coconut flour and ground almond meal.
I was going for the larger bakery style muffins and these delivered! They were so good! I love lemon and blueberry together and this time, I used coconut sugar in place of regular sugar.
My husband and I also shot our first video .. it’s not perfect but I am super happy with it. My husband did everything .. he still has a ways to go in learning all the editing tips and tricks but he’ll get there! I hope you try these muffins!
Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 heaping tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries; if frozen make sure they are thoroughly defrosted + more if desired
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk 2% or almond milk
- Special equipment suggested: a cookie dough scooper
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and place your oven rack in the center. Line your muffin tin with your muffin/cupcake liners or spray (with a non-stick cooking spray) the bottom and sides of each muffin tin cup.
- In a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
- In the bowl of your electric stand mixer fitted with the flat beater attachment, beat the butter until softened; for about 1 minute. Add the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy, for about 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed and add in the vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture (in three additions) and milk (in two additions) alternating, starting and ending with the flour. Mix only until combined. Gently fold in the blueberries by hand using a rubber spatula.
- Scoop out the muffin batter and place into each baking cup and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes and enjoy!