With no real signs of spring coming any time soon, I’m taking matters into my own hands. Making salads and celebrating in-season spring vegetables!
I love fennel. Absolutely love it. And I actually prefer it raw in salads because I love the texture and the crunch!
Wednesday of this week I finally emerged out of my house and into the bright, shining sun. After my laser treatment last week, I purposely stayed indoors to avoid the sun.
On Wednesday, it was sunny and gorgeous outside. 12 degrees but still sunny and beautiful. I was driving home from the grocery store, the sun beaming down on me and for a second, I felt great in that moment . . and did the unthinkable . . I rolled down the window.
Forgot where I was for a second.
Even in the 12 degree weather, it was a beautiful day and I treated myself to a salad and my Prius to a car wash. Is it just me or do you feel better when your car is clean too?
So, I got a car wash. . and remember it was freaking cold so as soon as I drove out of the car wash thing, the droplets of water on the exterior of my car froze.
Ah, Wisconsin, you gotta love it.
I got home and made this salad. And licked the plate clean.
Two things that make this salad, well, other than the fennel, are the lemon dressing and the Parmesan. You guys, I love this dressing. Do you ever make your own homemade dressing, fall in love and then proceed to drizzle it over everything?! For like a week? Well, that’s what I did here.
So, that means I’ll have another fabulous recipe coming up soon using this creamy lemon dressing.
And I love big slivers of parmesan on my salads. It’s the salty with the fresh taste, and mixed in with the sweetness from the apples. . oh baby.
This is like the easiest salad to throw together. You guys have to try this! Happy Friday!!! What are you guys doing this weekend?
- 4 ounces (about 4 packed cups) fresh arugula, washed and dried
- 1 small fennel bulb, sliced thin or shaved on a mandoline
- ½ small apple, (Gala, Honeycrisp, Jonagold, Red Delicious) unpeeled and sliced thin or shaved on a mandoline
- ⅓ cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Combine the arugula, shaved fennel and apple slices in a serving bowl and gently toss together. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, and lemon zest, adding another glug of olive oil if you need it. Season to taste with salt and pepper and mix again.
- Serve the salad and drizzle on the dressing. Serve with some big slivers of parmesan cheese and enjoy immediately.
Recipe adapted from The Kitchn. New to fennel? Check out this post to learn how to cut fennel.