My oven broke this week. Didn’t really phase the kids and my husband loved it because we ordered pizza and ate stir-fry (3 times). My kids may have been wondering why I was so elated when the repair guy finally came with the part that we needed and fixed my little oven.
I mean, come on. To be without an oven over the holidays? To be without an oven during my baking fest time of the year?! Thank goodness it only lasted 4 days. It could have been worse, yo. So, this past weekend, the baking began. And it will continue all week long. Cookies, brownies, bread, my Christmas crack. . oh yes. . must make the Christmas crack. And a couple pies and tarts in between.
I love baking bread because it’s easy to wrap and give away and can stay fresh for a few days. And the smell fills your kitchen and is just divine. These Mini Apple Cinnamon Spice Cakes are perfect for this time of the year! I’m going to bake some more for friends and P’s and M’s teachers. When making my spice cakes, I love adding apple sauce.
The Tree Top apple sauce really helps to create a moist, delicious, flavorful bread and with natural sweeteners from the apples only and no added sugar, you gotta love it. Oh, and I added walnuts for some texture. . because that’s what I do.
This bread is really delicious, moist and perfect. You must bake this bread now! Eat it all yourself or share. Up to you!!
- non-stick baking spray
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups unsweetened Tree Top Apple Sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup walnuts (chopped, halved or whole)
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Spray (with non-stick baking spray) your bread loaf pan or mini bread loaf pan. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour with the granulated sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom and ground cloves. Add in the applesauce, eggs, oil and melted butter and mix well. Lastly, add in the walnuts and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the wells of the mini loaf pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the bread cool for at least 10-15 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Food and Wine.
Disclosure: This is not a sponsored post. Tree Top sent me some apple sauce and apple juice for recipe development and testing. All opinions expressed here are 100% my own.