You know how some people, or so I’ve read, bake garlic in the oven right before they are entertaining and having people over just so their house/kitchen can smell amazing? (in all honestly, I never even thought of this until I read Dinner a Love Story. Sorry to give away your secret Jenny.) Well, I bake chocolate chip cookies! To me, there’s nothing like the smell of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies in the kitchen. . O.M.G. Love it.
And truth be told, I usually bake these – or some kind of cookie- when we have friends over for play dates. . There’s just something about a cookie that makes the world a better place, don’t you think?
These are great because the kids can help decorate them. We just threw the sprinkles on right before we put these in the oven but you can also mix them in your cookie dough. These are also great for just plain ole sugar cookies but yesterday we wanted everything: chocolate chips, peanut butter morsels, sprinkles. . the whole shabang!
I hope you and your kids enjoy!
- 1 cup 2 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups 12 oz all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. smallish-medium coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 cups chocolate chips 1 cup semi-sweet, 1 cup milk chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup peanut butter morsels
- sprinkles any kind
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees. Using a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until it is nice and fluffy (approx. 3 minutes on medium-high speed). Add both eggs and vanilla and beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients separately and add slowly until the cookie batter is fully incorporated. Next, add the chocolate chips and mix until well distributed. The cookie batter should be somewhat thick. If you want to set aside some cookie dough so you can also have regular chocolate chip cookies, set aside some of the cookie dough now.
- Add the peanut butter morsels and mix slightly until fully incorporated.
- Drop about 2 tablespoons of the cookie dough or use a medium cookie scoop and place the batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Flatten the cookie dough balls slightly with your hands and add the sprinkles (this helps them stick better). Bake for about 13-14 minutes until the edges are nice and golden brown. Remove from the heat and allow the cookies to stay on the cookie sheet for an additional 2 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
To see my chocolate chip cookie recipe, click here.