I think Giada said, “You eat with your eyes first.” Ain’t that the truth! I don’t know about you, but when I look at recipes, a lot of times, the photo is the deciding factor. . whether or not it looks appetizing determines whether or not I’m going to give the recipe a try. . . This is why I love Pinterest, Food Gawker, food blogs etc. .
Of the many food blogs I follow, there are five or six that I keep going back to since the recipes are great and the food shots are beautiful and literally make me drool. For this grilled cheese, it was Two Peas & Their Pod’s recipe and photo that made me have to try this sandwich. Believe me, if you like grilled cheese and guacamole, you must try this recipe. It’s perfection in a sandwich.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Guacamole
- To make the guacamole:
- 2-3 ripe avocados
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeño, stems and seeds removed, minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- A dash of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- Also needed:
- 4 slices bread (any kind)
- 4 slices Cheddar cheese + other cheese if preferred (I had some Havarti so added that too)
- 1 tomato, sliced thin (because I love tomatoes so much I am adding more)
- Olive oil (alternatively, you can use butter to toast the bread)
- To make the guacamole, cut the avocados in half. Remove the pit. Slice the avocado with a knife while it's still in the skin. Scoop out avocado from the peel, put in a large bowl. Using a fork, mash the avocado. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, tomato, salt and pepper. Stir gently until well combined.
- Heat a pan or griddle to medium-high heat. Drizzle some olive oil on the pan and after a minute or so, add 2 slices of bread (or however many will fit on your pan). Keep flipping until both sides of the bread are just about toasted.
- Spread desired amount of guacamole on one slice of bread and place the cheese on the other slice. After the cheese has melted a little, remove both slices of bread from the pan. Add the thinly sliced tomatoes (and cooked bacon if you are adding bacon), then add the cheesy bread slice on top of the other slice. Gently press together. Cook the other sandwich the same way.