Chicken Satay Spicy Peanut Sauce
Delicious Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce for #SundaySupper!! Grilled to perfection and topped with a sweet and spicy Korean gochujang sauce, you need to try this recipe!
Ever since watching Todd and Diane’s (White On Rice Couple) photography and food styling workshop on CreativeLive.com, I’ve been playing around with my camera and my natural light. . trying to manipulate it and use it to my advantage. .
Because up until this point, I was always shooting with my natural light coming in from 3 o’clock (side light) and never tried it with back light (light coming in from 12 o’clock, behind my food or whatever I was shooting). So, here’s my chicken satay skewers with back light.
It’s too much light but just wanted to show you how much difference it makes. . I’m no expert and just still trying to learn as much as I can. Todd and Diane’s workshop, which I watched for free online the first day for a few hours, really opened my eyes to a lot.
And I realized, and my friend Allie mentioned this to me too, that the back light shooting doesn’t always work for everything. . but it actually works really well for translucent foods like popsicles or drinks or cocktails. (Note to self for my next cocktail recipe).
So, let’s get to this recipe! Today for Sunday Supper we’re celebrating MAN FOOD!
Ok, ok, I know what you’re thinking .. chicken satay? . . man food. . huh? Well, let me just tell you. . here in our house, anything that is grilled to perfection and has grill marks is deemed man food. Period.
And because we used chicken thigh meat instead of chicken breast, my husband loved this. Like freakin’ licked his fingers this was so good.
And the spicy peanut sauce I made didn’t hurt. We loved this sauce!!!
The inspiration for this recipe (and the recipe itself!) came from the very talented Amy Lee Scott from Club Narwhal and her Thai Chicken Satay Noodle Salad. If you’ve never visited her blog, you need to. Like right now. She’s awesome and super talented.
The only thing I did differently was add a little heat (gochujang; Korean hot pepper paste) and changed up the portions a bit for the marinade and sauce. And I’m not even going to touch Amy’s Thai Chicken Satay Noodle salad y’all because this is perfection.
I ate this with noodles, my husband threw everything into a tortilla (down below) and the following day, I had some with white rice. Delicious and so versatile! So, I will leave you with a few more photos. . . as I was playing around with the back light thing, I also switched colors and food items and shot this with corn instead of the chicken. I have no idea if the exposure is right. . I just love all the colors!
Chicken Satay Spicy Peanut Sauce
RECIPE: Click here for Amy’s recipe. If you want to make it spicy and want to try the gochujang, simply whisk together the following and add to the leftover marinade sauce, which is also your dressing (Amy notes “you will use 1/3 of sauce mixture to marinate the chicken and the rest to dress the salad. Divide into two separate containers/baggies so the raw chicken doesn’t contaminate the dressing.”)
- 1-2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup gochujang; Korean hot pepper paste
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil + more if needed
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
So, here’s the spicy chicken tacos my husband made (side light). Messy but soooooo good with the spicy gochujang peanut sauce. I ate one too.
We’re sharing MAN FOOD today so you know it’s all going to be good!!! And the awesomely talented Susan from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen is hosting! So, take a look at each recipe below and hold on to your seats because we have a ton of recipes to share with you today! Cheers and Happy Father’s Day!!
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.