Chocolate Bundt Cake with Balsamic Strawberry Sauce for #Bundtamonth
Yes, I know what you’re thinking. I’m crazy. Two chocolate bundt cake recipes in one week?
What’s going on?
Well, contrary to what my sister thinks, I am not pregnant. We have 2 kids. We’re done. My excuse? Do I need one? It’s chocolate cake. Chocolate cake should be enjoyed every day of the year.
And, well, I guess that special day of the year is coming up. The day that some people loathe, some people love and some people don’t give a flip about. Admittedly, since I am a mom, Valentine’s Day is now mainly all about my kids. Writing cards, drawing pictures, and baking. I still manage to keep the romance there with my husband. Only we save lots of money and stay in. No lavish Valentine’s Day dinner for us. Since having the kids, we stay in, sometimes order in and we all eat together. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Because when it comes to showing someone you love them, you should be romantic, show your love and appreciation and everything else everyday of the year.
Do we exchange gifts? Sometimes. Will we have wine? Oh Yes. And chocolate cake? Most definitely.
So, since I am hoping to inspire some of you to get into the kitchen this month and bake something (possibly for 2/14), I’m coming at you today with the mother of all chocolate cakes. This one was inspired by all the chocolate covered strawberries you will see everywhere around this time of year and the Balsamic Strawberry ice cream they have at Molly Moon’s. I love this ice cream so much.
And I’ve been dying to try Averie’s chocolate cake recipe (she adds greek yogurt and canola oil instead of butter) ever since I laid eyes on her post. This cake was very moist and springy. You better believe I added coffee to this cake. I’m never turning back. This cake was absolutely wonderful with the chocolate ganache + balsamic strawberry sauce!
Think of this as the ultimate chocolate cake meets chocolate dipped strawberries in the most unassuming way.
I hope you enjoy!
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups brewed coffee
- 1 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder + additional for dusting the bundt pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- butter or cooking spray for the bundt pan
- 1 cup (6 ounces) good quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped OR semi-sweet chocolate chip morsels OR a blend of both milk chocolate and semi-sweet morsels
- ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- fresh strawberries or fresh strawberry slices
- chocolate shavings
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Brew 1½ cups of coffee. While the coffee is brewing, butter (or spray with cooking spray) the bundt pan and then dust with cocoa powder. Do this well to ensure the bundt cake will come out of the bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs, sugar, yogurt, oil, vanilla, and whisk until smooth and combined. Add the cooled coffee, cocoa powder and whisk with vigor until the batter is smooth and free from lumps. Add the flour, baking soda and salt, and whisk vigorously some more until batter has just combined, for about a minute or two.
- Pour the batter into your prepared bundt pan and bake for about 45 minutes. Allow the cake to cool in the pan completely, for at least 30 minutes before flipping and removing from your bundt pan.
- Place the chocolate pieces in a small bowl. Combine the heavy cream and vanilla extract in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook until small bubbles appear on the outside edge of the cream. Pour the hot cream mixture over the chocolate. Using a wire whisk, gently stir until all of the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- Cook the sliced strawberries, sugar, and balsamic vinegar in a medium pan on med-high heat for about 9-10 minutes stirring occasionally. When the sauce is the consistency of maple syrup on the back of your spoon, it's ready. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Drizzle the chocolate ganache on the cooled bundt cake. Then, pour the balsamic strawberry sauce on top of the ganache, allowing the cooked strawberry chunks to fall as they may and sprinkle on some chocolate shavings. Serve with fresh sliced strawberries if desired.
February *Chocolate* Bundt-a-Month!
Chocolate lovers: you seriously do not want to miss this line up. Check it out:
Chocolate Berry Bundt Cake by Heather from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks Chocolate Bundt Cake with Balsamic Strawberry Sauce by Alice from Hip Foodie Mom Chocolate Chobani Bundt Cake by Carrie from Poet In The Pantry Chocolate Espresso Bundt Cake by Holly from A Baker’s House Chocolate Mini Bundts with Matcha Flowers by Kim from Ninja Baking Chocolate Raspberry Swirl Bundt Cake by Anita from Hungry Couple Chocolate Rocky Road Bundt Cake by Tara from Noshing With The Nolands Chocolate Turtle Bundt Cake by Kim from Cravings Of A Lunatic Deep Chocolate Be Mine Bundt by Stacy from Food Lust People Love Double Chocolate Swirled Bundt Cake by Laura from The Spiced Life Chocolate Peanut Butter Layered Bundt Cake by Karen from In The Kitchen With KP Red Wine Chocolate Bundt Cake with Mascarpone Whipped Cream by Kate from Food Babbles Sour Cream Chocolate Bundt Cake by Renee from Magnolia Days Quadruple Chocolate Bundt Cake by Dorothy from Shockingly Delicious Vanilla and Chocolate Marble Bundt Cake by Anuradha from Baker Street White Chocolate Raspberry Bundt Cake by Paula from Vintage Kitchen
Here’s how you can be a part of Bundt-a-Month:
- Simple rule: Use chocolate – and bake us a Bundt for February
- Post it before February 28, 2013.
- Use the #BundtAMonth hashtag in your title.
- Add your entry to the Linky tool below
- Link back to our announcement posts.
Follow Bundt-a-Month on Facebook where we feature all our gorgeous bundt cakes. Or head over to our Pinterest board for inspiration and choose from over 350 Bundt cake recipes.
Link to BundtaMonth on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/BundtaMonth
Link to BundtaMonth on Pinterest -
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…