Chicken and Veggie Spring Rolls and a delicious tahini dipping sauce + A ZWILLING Giveaway for Mother’s Day! Eat the rainbow! Everyone needs a meat and vegetable cleaver! Check out the giveaway!
It’s funny how a word or phrase can change your day. I’m a woman. I’m rational and irrational (sometimes, come on, everyone is). I’m joyful, happy, emotional. . I care about my body, my appearance, how I look. Yesterday, after Pure Barre class, I went to the local acai bowl place (Bowl of Heaven) and I was with my friend, Melissa.
We’re both Korean. and yes, Asians look younger than they are. . in this case, I’m referring to Melissa. The girl behind the check out counter asks us “Is this together?” We say no. I proceed to order and then the girl asks for my rewards number. . she says Melissa, “We can put your order on your mom’s rewards account” . . and I say out loud. . “You think I’m her mother?!” Melissa’s like 30 something. So, needless to say, it made me feel pretty bad. . like I look old enough to be a 30 something’s mother. I am a mother, we all know that but my kids are 9 and 6!
And what bothered me the most was that the girl didn’t even apologize. Clearly, she was wrong and she didn’t say a word.
I could’ve come home and remained in a bad mood but I didn’t. I came home and made these delicious chicken and veggie spring rolls. Recently, ZWILLING sent me these cleavers, one for meat and one for vegetables. They are amazing and they cut meats and veggies so well! I also love that they are wide so you can use the knife to scoop up what you are cutting and slicing! If you watch my instagram stories, you saw this beauty in action yesterday! I used the vegetable cleaver to slice all of my veggies and the meat cleaver to slice my chicken.
I’m thrilled to be able to give away one of EACH TODAY!! Enter using the widget below! Now, back to these chicken and veggie spring rolls!
My guidelines for spring rolls: keep it fresh, colorful, use foods that are in season and have different textures and flavor.
And the dipping sauce is equally as important! I make spring rolls all the time and today, I made a delicious, creamy tahini dipping sauce for these chicken and veggie spring rolls! I loved this sauce with the fresh veggies and chicken, sooooo good!
I hope you make these chicken and veggie spring rolls! And be sure to enter the giveaway down below!
Chicken and Veggie Spring Rolls
For the spring rolls:
- 1 package rice paper wraps for spring rolls available at all Asian markets; look for the large round ones, comes with 25 sheets of rice paper
- Large bowl of very hot water
- 2 to 3 cups green leaf lettuce shredded or chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced thin lengthwise
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper sliced thin lengthwise
- 1 large carrot peeled and julienned
- ½ head red cabbage sliced thin
- steamed asparagus spears
- cooked rotisserie chicken or chicken breast sliced into strips
- lime wedges and fresh mint leaves optional
For the tahini dipping sauce:
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste start with a pinch
- 1/2 cup water + more if needed
- roasted sesame seeds for garnish
For the spring rolls:
- Once you have all of your vegetables sliced, prepped and ready to go, set up a workstation with all of your ingredients close by. If you’ve rolled spring rolls before, you can use a cutting board or any clean, flat surface but if this is your first time rolling, I recommend working on a non-stick silicone baking mat or something where the rice paper won’t stick so it’s easier for you to work, fold and roll.
- Next to the prepped and cut ingredients, you will need a large bowl of hot to very warm water. I boil water, let it cool down slightly and then pour it into my bowl and then let it cool down slightly so it’s not burning hot. You will need very warm water to work with.
- To begin, grab one sheet of rice paper and dip it into the warm water. Rotate the rice paper around until you have wet the entire sheet. Lay the wet rice paper down on your work surface and top with the vegetables and the chicken (start with the lettuce first, the order does not really matter.) Lay the vegetables and chicken on top of the rice paper sheet with at least 2 inches of rice paper showing at the bottom.
- Start by folding up the bottom part of the rice paper, up and over your vegetables. Then, fold in each end, the right and the left and then continue rolling the spring roll, firmly but gently so you don’t tear the rice paper, like rolling a sleeping bag until you have rolled to the opposite end. Because the rice paper is sticky, the spring roll will just close and seal on its own. Place the finished spring roll on a non-stick baking sheet and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Be careful not to place the spring rolls too close, or on top of each other or they will stick to each other.
- Repeat until all of the rice paper sheets have been used. *Note: you may need to get more hot water to dip the rice paper sheets into as you work.
For the dipping sauce:
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small to medium-sized bowl. Taste and season with more salt, or add just a little more water if you think the sauce is too thick. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired and serve with the spring rolls. Enjoy!! (Note: store any leftover dipping sauce in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. I love simply dipping raw veggies into this sauce! So good!)
One reader will win both of these cleavers! One meat cleaver and one vegetable cleaver, retail value: $375! Good luck! Open to residents within the United States only.
Disclosure: This giveaway is sponsored by ZWILLING. All opinions are my own.