Broccoli Cheddar Soup in a bread bowl! This was the most requested soup recipe! This is very similar to Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup. . maybe better!
Before we get going here, I have to say I am not the best photographer and I’m not sure there’s a way to make this soup look good. So, if my photos aren’t appealing, I hope that doesn’t stop you from making this recipe because it’s so good and my family devoured this soup.
Ever since living in Wisconsin, I would take my kids to Panera Bread all the time. It had free Wifi, good tables, easy parking and we liked the food. I know some may disagree with me but I actually like their sandwiches, salads and my kids love their soup. So, when we moved to PA and my oldest started attending a math tutoring class that had a Panera Bread right next door, I bet you can guess where I would take Madeline all the time while we waited those two hours for Phoebe. Again, free Wifi, good tables, easy parking and we liked the food.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
My kids love the chicken noodle, corn chowder, baked potato, the chili and this one! This recipe is super easy to make and comes together in no time. Like most soups that you blend, you can blend until you get the consistency that you desire. So, if you like your soup chunkier, leave more broccoli chunks. If you like your soup more blended, blend away! If you try this one, let me know what you think!
This was my attempt at elevating this soup! I love roasted broccolini so I added some on top, and some cheddar cheese and hit this under the broiler for two minutes.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cubed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half cream*
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 heaping cups broccoli florets chopped
- 1 cup carrot julienned
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 2 to 3 cups cheddar cheese shredded, any kind + more for garnish
- bread bowl for serving, optional
- roasted broccolini optional
- Using a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the butter until just melted. Add the onions and sauté until soft and tender. Add the flour over the top and mix together. Let cook for about 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the half and half and the chicken stock.
- Add the broccoli and carrots and bring to a boil. When boiling, turn the heat down to low and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup to your desired consistency. Alternatively, you can transfer half of the soup to a blender and blend and then add back into the pot. Stir in the cheddar cheese (over low heat or have the heat turned off) until combined. Taste and adjust any seasonings as desired. Serve and enjoy!
- Optional: Slice the top off of a bread bowl, remove some of the inner bread and ladle some soup into the bread bowl. Arrange the roasted broccolini over the top, add some more cheddar cheese and bake in the 350 degree oven to melt the cheese, or turn the heat up to broil and broil for 2 minutes (if you broil, watch your bread bowl). Serve and enjoy while hot!
Recipe adapted from here.