Havarti Chipotle and Gouda Grilled Cheese made with Roth Cheese. Rich in flavor, creamy and just the right blend of cheeses to give you one of the best tasting grilled cheese sandwiches ever! I hope you try this!
I can hardly believe April is already here. We’re seeing signs of spring come and go so I’m hoping the beautiful weather is here to stay. Last Saturday, I ran outside and it was perfect. I can’t wait to get back on my bike too and really enjoy some outdoors activities here soon!
April is Grilled Cheese month! If you know me, you know how much I love cheese, so this month is like heaven for me.
I love a good grilled cheese sandwich and I have some tips down below to help you make the perfect one. Before we get to the method, it’s really all about the cheese. You have to use great quality and great tasting cheese.
Roth Cheese is right here in Monroe, Wisconsin. If you think about it, one of the most important ingredients in cheese is the milk, and I think cheese from America’s Dairyland is pretty darn great. Everyone at Roth, the farmers, cooks and cheesemakers, they are all working towards the same goal: to make a great tasting product. . and you can tell immediately, after just one taste, one bite, that they deliver.
For this grilled cheese, I wanted to pair something creamy with something with a little heat. Pairing the Van Gogh Vintage Aged Gouda, which has been aged for a minimum of six months, with the Havarti Chipotle is perfection. The smoky and spicy flavors are perfectly balanced in this bold yet creamy Havarti. It’s so good!
I could seriously eat the cheese alone, by the handful, it’s that good. But it’s grilled cheese month so this Havarti Chipotle and Gouda Grilled Cheese Sandwich just HAD to happen. Obviously.
I loved incorporating mushrooms and Swiss chard into this grilled cheese. They paired so well with the creaminess and richness of the cheese and it just really made a well balanced, full flavored grilled cheese! You have to try this!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
As I said above, you have to use great quality, great tasting cheese. Use a blend of cheeses. Just like macaroni and cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches can go from good to amazing by using a blend of cheeses to really amp of the flavor and taste.
Once you have your cheeses selected, grate your cheese! It melts easier and faster this way, and is, in my opinion, the best way to go when making a grilled cheese sandwich.
I like my grilled cheese to have a really great exterior. Crunchy and flavorful. Use a nice, thick bread and butter the outside. This will give you that beautiful, nicely browned exterior on your grilled cheese.
And lastly, add some veggies! Adding slightly bitter greens like Swiss chard, kale or sautéed broccoli rabe help balance all the richness and just really give you a well-balanced sandwich. I hope you try my Havarti Chipotle and Gouda Grilled Cheese!! And you can find Roth Cheese at grocery and deli counters throughout the US!
- 1 tablespoon butter for the skillet + more for spreading on your bread slices
- 4 slices bread, any kind (I used a multigrain bread)
- ½ cup Roth Havarti Chipotle cheese, freshly grated
- ½ cup Roth Van Gogh Vintage Gouda, freshly grated
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, chopped and sautéed
- Dijon mustard (optional)*
- Butter one slice of bread on both sides and set aside. If this is too much butter for you, just butter the outside of one slice of bread.
- Using a cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet, heat one tablespoon of butter in your skillet over medium heat.
- Let the butter melt completely and then lay your slice of buttered bread (butter side down; if only buttering one side of bread) into the skillet and top with a ¼ cup of the grated Roth Havarti Chipotle and a ¼ cup of the Roth Van Gogh Vintage Gouda. Cover the skillet with a lid and let the cheese melt until it's almost entirely melted, for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Next, lift the lid and top the melted cheese with some of the sautéed mushrooms and chard and cover again with the lid again for just a minute or two.
- Butter one side of the second slice of bread and spread dijon mustard* on the other side. Place the bread, dijon mustard side down onto the veggies and then flip your grilled cheese to begin toasting the other side. You do not need to cover the pan again since your cheese is already melting nicely. You can flip a couple more times if desired until you have nice, golden brown toasty bread on both sides.
- Repeat everything for your second grilled cheese sandwich. Slice, serve and enjoy!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post in partnership with Emmi Roth USA, Inc. All opinions stated here are 100% my own.