Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese made with fontina, cheddar and gruyere cheese. So delicious and so easy to make! Perfect for a weeknight dinner!
Yesterday I had one of the most productive days I’ve had in a while. I planned out my editorial calendar for the next two months and worked on three recipes and photographed two of them. Macaroni and cheese, granola and kimchi fried rice. It was like the best eating day ever!
If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen this photo. So many of you asked for this recipe so here it is! The key to really good mac and cheese in my mind, is using a blend of great quality, great tasting cheeses. If you can grate your own cheese, I promise you, you will taste the difference. I used fontina, cheddar and a gruyere cheese but use your favorites, or whatever you have at home.
Feel free to add more cheese, or take some out. . either way, this recipe will become a family favorite! I hope you enjoy!
Creamy Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 pound penne pasta you can also use shell, elbow, bowtie or rotini pasta
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt split
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups whole or 2% milk split
- 2 to 3 cups freshly grated cheese like cheddar, fontina and gruyere
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika + more if desired
- salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and 2 teaspoons of salt. Cook until the pasta is al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare the roux: Whisk together the flour and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. It will form a paste. Slowly pour in and whisk the milk to incorporate and keep whisking until smooth and becomes thick, for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and begin adding in and mixing the handfuls of cheese into the roux. Stir in the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and the smoked paprika. Stir until all the cheese has melted and the sauce is creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired.
- Add the cooked pasta into the cheese sauce and stir together until all of the pasta is nicely coated. Let cook in the saucepan for about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir together one last time, season with salt and pepper if desired and then serve and enjoy!
Adapted from here.