Bright, fresh & flavorful, you’ve got to try my Mediterranean Freekeh Salad. Freekeh is a high-fiber whole grain food that cooks quickly & tastes delicious!
It’s been such a crazy week you guys.
Busy and fun, but crazy. My kids and I are in Minnesota and they are at Korean Culture Camp. It’s been so great and fun seeing them learn and interact and get excited about being Korean and learning more about their culture.
On Wednesday, I left for a quick day trip for work and am flying back to Minnesota today. . I have airport gifts in hand to thank my sister and brother-in-law for watching the kids. . Are airport gifts lame? Depends on what you get right?
When Paul used to travel a lot for work, he would always bring home a magnet from the city he was in. The girls loved it and our refrigerator was filled with them.
Don’t worry, I didn’t get my sister a magnet.
Traveling is fun but I can’t wait to get back home. Last week, before I left I made this Mediterranean Freekeh Salad. I love food like this. Food that you can make, leave in the fridge, let the flavors marinate and it tastes even better the following day. I ate this for like 3 days in a row for lunch.
I am in love with this freekeh salad.
Have you guys heard of freekeh? Freekeh is “a flavorful, high-fiber whole grain food that cooks quickly and tastes delicious. Freekeh (also known as farik or frikeh) is the name for roasted young wheat, and it is a traditional food of the Middle East and Northeastern Africa. Organic Cracked Freekeh cooks up in just 25 minutes for an easy, quick whole grain addition to your dinner table. This organic roasted green wheat has a subtle smoky flavor and pleasantly chewy texture, which makes it ideal for satisfying side dishes like savory salads and spiced pilafs. For a hearty hot cereal, try a bowl of cracked freekeh topped with milk, honey, nuts and fruit!”
Totally trying this for my next hot breakfast!
Freekeh is absolutely delicious. I could’ve just eaten this plain, with just extra virgin olive oil and salt and a touch of red wine vinegar. It’s that good and I love the texture of this whole grain.
But I couldn’t just make a plain pot of freekeh could I?
This Mediterranean Freekeh Salad is an explosion of flavors in your mouth. Like, the most delicious explosion. You really don’t need a lot going on with the dressing. . just extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, a fresh squeeze of lemon if you’d like and salt and pepper. You want the ingredients to shine and as you take each bite and taste the pepperoncinis, sun dried tomatoes, feta cheese, black kalamata olives and the delicious freekeh, you are in heaven.
And yes, we have a giveaway down below. . because EVERYONE needs to try freekeh.
More hearty salads —
Mediterranean Freekeh Salad
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup organic cracked freekeh
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil + more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup diced sun dried tomatoes
- 1 zucchini unpeeled and diced fine
- 1 small red onion peeled and diced
- 1 to mato chopped or diced
- 1/4 cup diced pepperoncini peppers
- 1/3 cup whole greek kalamata olives pitted and sliced in half
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese + more for garnish if desired
- 1/2 lemon optional
- Using a heavy bottomed pot or medium sized sauce pan, bring the water to a boil. Add the Organic Cracked Freekeh, reduce the heat to low and partially cover with lid. Let simmer until the liquid has absorbed, for about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for about 30 minutes. Once cooled, lightly drizzle just a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle on some kosher salt. Mix and set aside.
- Using a small bowl, whisk together the 1/4 cup olive oil, red wine vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust any ingredients as needed and set aside.
- Using a large mixing bowl, mix together the sun dried tomatoes, zucchini, red onion, chopped tomato, diced pepperoncini, olives and parsley. Add the cooked freekeh, fresh arugula, dressing and crumbled feta cheese. Mix together again and right before serving, squeeze on just a touch of freshly squeezed lemon juice if desired. Enjoy immediately.
Giveaway only open to residents within the United States
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post in partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. All opinions expressed here are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting me in working with the brands that I use and love.