The Best Chocolate Cake. Ever. 3-layer, rich, chocolate cake with dark chocolate frosting and chocolate covered strawberries on top. This is seriously the best chocolate cake. Ever. We hope you try it!
Do you guys have a favorite slow song? A ballad that rocks your world, rocks your soul and makes you grab that imaginary microphone and start belting it out?
That song for me is “When I was Your Man” by Bruno Mars.
Let’s take a moment here.
Do you guys know this song? Well, I should ask who doesn’t know this song? This song gets me every time. I freaking love this song. It’s about deep haunting regret.
Regret is something I think we can all relate to.
Lately, I’ve been thinking about life. And just trying to be better at it and to live every moment to the fullest. Now, I’m not trying to be dramatic. . but just trying to pause more, take time and enjoy life.
Valentine’s Day is next week and I was thinking about my days as a single gal. Many Valentine’s Days were spent with chocolate cake, wine and my girlfriends.
And we were probably listening to sad, sappy love songs. On full blast. And complaining about being single or whatever bad relationship we had just gotten out of. So, this post is for my single girlfriends and boyfriends.
Please don’t spend Valentine’s Day feeling sad, listening to sad, sappy songs. Go out! Get together with friends and freaking enjoy your time as a single person. . ah, if I only knew what I know now, back then, I would have had many more happy moments and more chocolate cake (I dieted way too much when I was single. and it sucked).
So, eat the chocolate cake dammit. Hell, have two slices. Why not?
The Best Chocolate Cake. Ever.
Valentine’s Day, I think, is like being pregnant, you have the right to indulge a little. Go crazy. It’s one freaking day. ok, so maybe using the “like being pregnant” isn’t a good analogy. . because you’re pregnant for way longer than a day.
Regardless. . make and eat this cake and be happy.
With chocolate cake, I highly highly recommend using brewed coffee. I’ve been doing this for a few years now and it’s the only way I bake my chocolate cakes. And this recipe uses no butter, yo, so you really can eat two slices.
And because everyone seems to love dessert with chocolate covered strawberries (I’m seriously going to do this every year), these lovelies are on top of my cake.
And I used store bought frosting for this cake. When it comes to frosting, hey, you know what? If you don’t have time to make it, the store bought kind is just fine. And delicious. I used Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Dark Chocolate. Or you can use this frosting or this chocolate merlot frosting. To die for.
And hey guys, girls and guys,if you are in a relationship, treat your significant others well and with respect. You don’t want to be singing Bruno’s song one day.
The Best Chocolate Cake. Ever.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour*
- 3/4 cups unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup brewed coffee*
- chocolate frosting homemade or store bought
- chocolate covered strawberries optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line 3 - 6" round cake pans with parchment paper. Spray with non-stick baking spray, or grease with butter. Set aside.
- Using a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add in the lightly beaten eggs and mix together again. Pour in the oil, the milk and the slightly cooled brewed coffee and mix together until just combined. Your cake batter will be quite liquidy.
- Pour the batter evenly into the three pans and bake for about 30 - 35 minutes, or until a tester inserted comes out clean. Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool for about 20 to 30 minutes before removing from their pans.
- When ready, frost each layer on top, using an offset spatula, and all around the cake. Top with the chocolate covered strawberries. Slice, serve and enjoy!
I used store bought frosting for this cake. When it comes to frosting, hey, you know what? If you don’t have time to make it, the store bought kind is just fine. And delicious. I used Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Dark Chocolate. Or you can use this frosting or this chocolate merlot frosting. To die for.