When I first started cooking, I never really paid attention to what produce was in season and when. I just bought stuff and didn’t think twice about it.
But if you think about it, purchasing and cooking with produce that’s in season makes complete sense. You get fruits and vegetables at their peak and the price is reasonable. It’s winter so I’m currently obsessed with sweet potatoes, kale, mushrooms and leeks.
Ah, the glorious sweet potato. My favorite thing now is simply roasted it with a little extra virgin olive oil and salt. So delicious and filling too!
To say that it’s cold here in Wisconsin is an understatement. We’re supposed to be having a mild winter but I still think 20/30 degree weather is cold so I have to take matters into my own hands.
Enter this glorious vegetarian pot pie. . . filled with winter’s bounty and everything good. Guys, you have to try this recipe. You won’t miss the beef, you won’t miss the chicken. . I promise. This is delicious.
Seasonal Vegetarian Pot Pie
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable broth
- 1 large sized sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 1 large sized carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 large leek tender white and light green parts only, sliced thin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 cups kale chopped
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ to 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon mascarpone
- 2 Frozen puff pastry sheets defrosted
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water beaten for egg wash
- Visit The Kitchenthusiast for the instructions.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post with KitchenAid USA. All opinions expressed here are 100% my own.