Asparagus and Prosciutto Crostini for Mother’s Day! So simple to prepare and delicious!
My mother and I live over 988 miles apart (she lives in Dallas, Texas) so most Mother’s Days are spent apart but with the guaranteed Facetime phone call and shipping her a gift in the mail.
But this year – although it won’t be on Mother’s Day Sunday – I will get to celebrate with her here in Madison. She will be visiting with my dad for one week. I love my mother so much. She is the epitome of love, sacrifice, hard work and generosity.
My mother, just like me, loves to try new foods and will try pretty much anything once. I’m not sure if she’s ever had prosciutto but you’d better believe I am making a big platter of these for her when she’s here. These appetizers are insanely easy and delicious. Everything works so well together: the rich, creamy ricotta cheese, the slightly salty prosciutto and the flavorful, roasted asparagus, all on a little toasted baguette slice. Heaven.
Let’s celebrate our moms today! I hope you enjoy!
Asparagus and Prosciutto Crostini
- 1 pound asparagus with the ends trimmed off
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + more for drizzling; split
- salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 1 loaf of french baguette sliced thin
- fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/2 pound prosciutto
- To roast the asparagus: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place the asparagus spears on the baking sheet, making sure each one is laying flat on the baking sheet. Drizzle on about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before cutting into 2 1/2 to 3 inch pieces.
- While your asparagus in the oven, heat the remaining tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. After a minute, place the baguette slices into the pan and cook on each side until slightly browned and crispy, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Repeat until all of the baguette slices are toasted (and feel free to use more olive oil as needed).*
- To assemble: generously spread on the fresh ricotta cheese on each toasted bread slice, top with a slice of prosciutto and then the roasted asparagus. Drizzle with a touch more extra virgin olive oil and season with freshly cracked pepper if desired. Enjoy immediately!
Adapted from this recipe on The Kitchn.
Today, we are celebrating our mothers and the insanely talented Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake is hosting! Thank you, Liz and happy Mother’s Day to YOU!! Please take a look at all of the wonderfully amazing breakfast dishes, apps, main dishes and more! Make something delicious for your mom or in memory of your mom. We hope you enjoy!
Mother’s Day Breakfast:
- Bacon,Egg and Cheddar Scones from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Chai Berry Muffins from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Almond Prune Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Greek Breakfast Strata from Curious Cuisiniere
- Maple Almond Butter from girlichef
- Orange Julius from Neighborfood
- Rum Rolls from Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Eggs with an Asian Accent from NinjaBaking.com
Mother’s Day Appetizers, Soups and Salads:
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Carrot Ginger Soup from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Chilled Spring Pea Soup from An Appealing Plan
- I Love You Mom Melon Salad from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Strawberry Salad with Asparagus Mousse from Delaware Girl Eats
- Truffled Sea Salt Shrimp Arugula Salad from Family Foodie
- Vegetable Shu Mai from My Healthy Eating Habits
Mother’s Day Main Dishes:
- Betty’s Salad from Jelly Toast
- Brussels Sprouts Kofta from Soni’s Food
- Cajun Shrimp Eggplant Casserole from Food Lust People Love
- Crepes Lorraine from Noshing With The Nolands
- Greek Chicken Pizza from Casa de Crews
- Ham and Spinach Quiche from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Lightened-Up Penne & Tomato Cream Sauce with Peas & Prosciutto from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mac & Cheese Dressed Up for Mother’s Day from Cooking Chat
- Mini Pot Pies from Jane’s Adventures in Cooking
- Paprika Shrimp from Nosh My Way
- Spears in a Blanket from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Mother’s Day Desserts:
- Banana Cream Pie from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Black-Eyed Susan from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cannoncini alla Crema from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Babka from Run DMT
- Chocolate Caramel Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Creme Brûlée from Desserts Required
- Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Gluten Free Lemon Curd Pie from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Cookies from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Limoncello Lemon Pound Cake from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Mom’s Glazed Blueberry Tarts from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mom’s Coconut Macaroons from MealDiva
- Mango Sorbet from Pescetarian Journal
- PB&J Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Peach Cobbler from Cookin’ Mimi
- Pina Colada Cake from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pineapple Empanadas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Scotch Tea Cookies from Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Shortcake Whipped Cream Cupcakes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here—>Sunday Supper Movement.