Congratulations to Lisa Newman!! Winner of the Kitchen Aid Personal Coffee Maker.
I LOVE coffee. Absolutely LOVE coffee. I seriously don’t know what I would do without it. I gave up coffee (and I have no idea how I did this) when I was pregnant with my second baby (with the first, I drank de-caff) but as soon as I was able to drink my cup of java again, I most certainly did.
It seems fitting to me now that we have moved to Seattle, WA, the coffee drinking capital of the Pacific Northwest. . the home of the very first Starbucks coffee shop back in 1971 (right here in Pike Place Market). The city where truly there is a coffee shop (yeah, probably a Starbie’s) on every corner and people freaking LOVE their coffee.
I personally – and I think most people are like me – enjoy my coffee more with something sweet to nibble on. So, I wanted to share this homemade biscotti recipe. What better to make and enjoy with your morning coffee? And you can keep the biscotti plain or go crazy with some melted chocolate (which I did) and all kinds of sprinkles and/or nuts.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus more for dusting your work surface and dough
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup blend of milk chocolate and semi-sweet morsels
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Toppings optional:
- Rainbow or chocolate sprinkles
- Sliced almonds
- Coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, almond extract and nutmeg until well combined. Add the flour and baking powder and knead the mixture with your hands until a heavy, workable dough forms. You can add a little more flour if needed.
- On a lightly floured work surface, use your hands to shape and roll the dough into a 12-inch-long log (or as close to that as you can get). Transfer the log to the center of the baking sheet. Flatten the dough to form a 1/2-inch thick rectangle that’s a bit thicker in the center and thinner on the long sides.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Leaving the oven on, remove the biscotti loaf, on the parchment paper, and place it on a cutting board. Let it cool for about 5 to 8 minutes, until it is cool enough to touch but still warm.
- Cut the loaf crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place the slices back on the baking sheet, lined with the same parchment paper, cut side up, and bake for 8 minutes. Flip the biscotti over and bake for about 6-8 minutes more. Let the biscotti cool completely on a wire rack.
- After the biscotti has cooled for about 10 minutes, heat the chocolate chip morsels in a pan on the stove over medium heat and as the chocolate starts to melt, whisk in the heavy cream and remove from the heat. Whisk until all the chocolate has melted and the heavy cream is well combined.
- Dip your biscotti in the chocolate and lay them back down on the parchment paper to cool. Sprinkle on any desired toppings while the chocolate is still warm so the toppings stick!
Adapted from Savory Sweet Life, the cookbook.
So, when I found out Kitchen Aid was coming out with a new Personal Coffee Maker with Optimized Brewing Technology, I knew I had to try it. Not only does this baby give you a hot, fresh, delicious cup of coffee, but it comes with it’s own 18 oz thermal travel mug so you can literally pull the mug out and go. My husband freaking LOVES this. And we just got this coffee maker recently but it seems that you can stick any travel mug container under the spout and get your coffee to go! This works well for us because my husband leaves his travel coffee mugs in the car and forgets about them so he grabs a new one every morning.
And I’m so excited to say that ONE lucky reader will win this new KitchenAid® Personal Coffee Maker! And it gets better. . in the color of your choice! I chose Empire Red because, to me, it’s pretty and signature Kitchen Aid. . but you can also choose Contour Silver, Onyx Black or Espresso!
To enter this giveaway, CLICK ON THE RAFFLECOPTER LINK BELOW. And my sincere apologies, but this giveaway is only open to residents within the United States:
- One entry per person, PLUS additional qualified bonus entries (mentioned above). Your comment may take a few moments to appear on the page.
- Giveaway only eligible for residents within the United States.
- This giveaway ends on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 11:59pm EST.
- ONE winner will be chosen at random from all of the comments/entries listed here on this post. Be sure to do the mandatory entry by answering the question and leaving a comment.
- ONE winner will be announced on Tuesday, November 27, 2012. The winner will be notified via the email supplied in the entry. The winner will have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be chosen.
Kelly D says
I like chocolate chip cookies with coffee.
Anything….sweet or savory! Just gotta have my java!
Karen Hartzell (@InTheKitchenKP) says
I love simple buttered toast with my coffee, Or pie. Pie is always good too. lol
Linda | The Urban Mrs says
That’s definitely love of a mom. My SIL is a coffee addict and it was a challenge when she got pregnant. I first had my biscotti from Starbucks and love it!
I love most any dessert with my coffee.. but if i had to choose…maybe a red velvet cake!! mmmmm. but as long as I have my Coffee Mate Hazelnut creamer..I’m good to go!!
Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious says
Wow, these biscotti look sinful! I could definitely use these for breakfast! And what an awesome giveaway. My favorite baked treat to enjoy with my coffee is Starbucks madeleines!
Your biscotti’s make me what to drink coffee!!
What a fabulous giveaway! I love almond croissants with my coffee (:
I love chocolate chip cookies with coffee.
Lemon cranberry pound cake goes great with pumpkin caramel coffee!
Ilove scones with my coffee-especially cranberry ones.
Linda G Hatton says
Your biscotti recipe looks yummy!
Brandie (@ Home Cooking Memories) says
I’m more of a savory person when it comes to having things with my coffee…like bagels. But I do enjoy sweet treats like muffins. My husband LOVES dunking things in his coffee…biscotti, cookies, etc.
I love biscotti cookies! First had them on a flight, and made it my mission to find them in stores. I buy the Lotus brand, and eat a few with my evening coffee. Mmmm!
h4schaffer at gmail dot com
Steph Coupons says
I love doughnuts with coffee!!