Salmon Nicoise Salad with roasted salmon, potatoes, haricots verts, tomatoes, eggs and olives, topped with a delicious dijon mustard vinaigrette. So delicious!
I would be remiss if I didn’t address the events of the past two weeks. Click here to read my thoughts if you’d like.
I love food and cooking and being in the kitchen. Food is what brings people together. Food is what brings my family together. One of my favorite things to do is cook for and feed people. No one knows exactly what this summer will bring, whether we will eventually be in larger gatherings, going out freely with our friends, or just staying at home with our families. In any case, we all have to eat and I can’t think of a better thing to make and eat than this Salmon Nicoise Salad.
Salmon Nicoise Salad
This salad does take some time to prepare but each component can be prepared in advance if needed and you can cut and chop things ahead of time as well.
The salmon and potatoes can be cooked on the same baking sheet but the salmon will need to come out sooner. I love roasting both, especially the potatoes because I love the added texture of somewhat crunchy potatoes in this.
You can make the eggs ahead of time, you can blanch the green beans ahead of time and slice and chop everything up so you just have to roast the salmon and potatoes and assemble the day of.
My kids finish school on Wednesday! I can’t believe this school year is over. We are going away for a week and will just visit a beach close by. Wishing everyone a peaceful summer. Spend time with loved ones. Spend time around the table.
Spend time reading, watching movies and documentaries and feeding your soul. I love you all.
Salmon Nicoise Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
For the marinade:
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin + more if needed
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 2 to 3 skin-on salmon fillets
- 3 to 4 Yukon gold potatoes cubed
- 1 lb. haricots verts stems removed
- tomatoes Roma, cherry, beef steak, cubed
- 4 large eggs jammy or hard boiled, peeled and cut in 1/2
- greens, romaine lettuce or arugula chopped
- green or black olives pitted
- raw radishes thinly sliced
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard + more if desired
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil extra virgin
For the salmon and potatoes:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and set aside. Mix together the marinade ingredients and place your salmon filets on top of the prepared baking sheet and spread the marinade on top. Next to the salmon, or on a separate lined baking sheet, place the potatoes on top and lightly drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Let the salmon sit with the marinade on top for about 10 minutes.
- Place the baking sheet into your oven and bake the salmon for about 10 minutes. Remove the salmon only and let rest on a plate for about 10 minutes. Remove the skin and break into large pieces and set aside. Continue roasting the potatoes for another 20 minutes or so, or until crispy.
For the other components of the salad:
- For the haricots verts: Blanch the haricots verts in a large pot of boiling salted water for about 2 minutes only. The haricots verts will turn a brighter green in color and should be tender and crisp. Drain and immediately place the haricots verts in a bowl of ice water.
- For the eggs: (I love a jammy egg for this recipe. This is a 7-minute egg. To make them more hard boiled and cooked, cook them for 9 minutes.) Bring water to a boil in a small pot. Slowly add in the eggs into the gentle to medium boiling water, leave in the water for 7 minutes and then immediately remove the eggs and into an ice bath. Peel and cut in half.
- For the dressing: Whisk together the ingredients and set aside.
- To assemble the platter: Arrange the salmon, crispy potatoes, haricots verts, tomatoes, eggs, greens, olives and radishes, on a large plate or platter. Drizzle some vinaigrette over everything, or leave on the table with the salad. Enjoy!