Fresh Berry Trifle with Crème Anglaise for a Valentine’s #SundaySupper

Fresh Berry Parfait with Crème Anglaise| HipFoodieMom.com

If there’s one thing I have learned from this food blog, it’s that people love quick and easy recipes.

Cheater recipes we might even call them. Or, in this case, a lazy cook’s crème anglaise.

It all started on Super Bowl Sunday, if you can believe this . .  my dear friend, Rina brought over fresh berries and ice cream for dessert (after our wings, burgers, bulgogi and bratwurst feast) and when I saw that the pint of vanilla ice cream was in the refrigerator, I moved it into the freezer and she was like, “No. .  I’m doing a cheater crème anglaise . .  it’s from Ina; see #9.” It totally makes sense because crème anglaise is made up of sugar, egg yolks and hot milk, and flavored with vanilla. Freaking brilliant. Did anyone know about this already? Or am I the only one who did not know this?

It all starts with vanilla ice cream.

Vanilla Ice Cream

You can leave it in the fridge (4-5 hours before serving) or scoop out what you need and leave it out for an hour or two before serving. Mix it up and make it as smooth as possible.

Melted ice cream_aerial view

Prep your pound cake and berries. And hey, it’s Valentine’s Day, kick back, take it easy and just buy the all butter Sara Lee Pound cake. All you have to do is microwave it for one minute. Cut the pound cake into cubes.

Sara Lee Pound Cake

Wash your berries and gently pat dry if desired. I always use and buy Driscoll’s berries and I buy organic berries 99% of the time. When I find both available, I always buy organic when it comes to berries.

Fresh berries

Assemble your fresh berry trifles!

Parfaits_pre_Creme Anglaise

Top with your lazy cook’s crème anglaise. . . (feel free to add a lot or a little; I don’t like it when my cake gets too soggy so I went pretty light with the melted ice cream) and some chocolate syrup if you’re feeling it. . and believe me, you want the chocolate syrup.

Fresh Berry Parfait with Crème Anglaise and chocolate sauce

Enjoy! That’s IT! These fresh berry trifles are easy, light and delicious! A great way to end Valentine’s Day dinner!

Parfait_Bite

Fresh Berry Trifle with Crème Anglaise

Prep time

Total time

“Prep time” indicates the time needed to melt the ice cream if left out on the counter in a glass.
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 2

Ingredients
  • Vanilla ice cream
  • half of a Sara Lee Pound Cake
  • assortment of fresh berries: strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries
  • chocolate syrup (optional but highly recommended)

Instructions
  1. Scoop out about 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream. Leave in the refrigerator at least 4 hours before serving or simply leave out on the counter, at least an hour or two before serving.
  2. Microwave your pound cake for one minute and cut into cubes. Wash your berries and set aside.
  3. To assemble the trifle: layer in some pound cake cubes, top with berries, repeat one more time and top with the melted ice cream and chocolate syrup. Enjoy!

8387592742_f6164fd5a8_o

Today is all about Valentine’s appetizers, dishes and desserts for TWO! How brilliant is that? And the lovely Susan from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen is hosting today! So, take a look and have a fantastic Valentine’s Day!!!

Alluring Appetizers:

Exquisite Entrees:

Decadent Desserts and Drinks:

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.

Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

58 Responses to "Fresh Berry Trifle with Crème Anglaise for a Valentine’s #SundaySupper"

1. Alice

February 9, 2014 at 12:13 am

Love a fancy parfait or a trifle as we might call it here in Aus. Is there nothing better than berries, Creme anglaise, pound cake and a spoon! Enjoy x

February 9, 2014 at 6:18 am

oh my gosh! You’re right. . I should have called this a trifle!!!

2. The Ninja Baker

February 9, 2014 at 2:36 am

Brilliant, Alice! How fantabulous that I can claim a fancy crème anglaise with vanilla ice cream…And yes, I love homemade cake…But, shhh, don’t tell, I LOVE Sara Lee’s pound cake!

February 9, 2014 at 6:17 am

haha, Kim! Since I was sticking with quick and easy (which everyone seems to love), I went with the Sara Lee pound cake! :)

3. Renee

February 9, 2014 at 6:26 am

I learned the quick creme anglaise trick from Emeril as he mentioned it on one of his shows. Since then it’s what I do when I need a super quick and easy vanilla sauce.
    Such pretty parfaits you are sharing. And I’m also finding people do love the quick and easy recipes.

February 9, 2014 at 7:28 am

Awh, so Emeril shared this too?! awesome! yes, people do!!! I still can’t believe that my easy 5-ingredient pizza puffs is one of the most commented on posts!

4. Pingback: Baked Custard | Magnolia Days

5. Pingback: Baked Pasta with Sausage and Fontina #SundaySupper - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen | The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

6. Shaina

February 9, 2014 at 7:18 am

Trifles are a really great way to serve dessert, you’ve got everything all in one dish: a baked treat, something fresh and fruit, and the best part: something creamy :)

7. Pingback: Southwestern Meatballs Wrapped in Bacon #SundaySupper | Mommasmeals.org

8. Pingback: Chocolate Marshmallow Duet for #SundaySupper recipes for TwoCindy's Recipes and Writings

9. Pingback: Chocolate Malt Bread Pudding #SundaySupper - Alida's Kitchen

10. Pingback: Kumquat Vanilla Marmalade — Shockingly Delicious

11. Pingback: Pecan-Crusted Coconut Custards with Brandied Banana Sauce #SundaySupper | The Texan New Yorker

12. Pingback: #SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Recipes for Two

13. Pingback: Drunken Snow Crabs — Family Foodie

14. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers

February 9, 2014 at 9:02 am

Yum! I love berries and chocolate together and the addition of poundcake, it’s perfect!! I could eat this every night!!

February 9, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Thank you, Jennifer! We ate these 2 nights in a row! :) and I was kind of surprised but my husband also devoured his. . so yummy!

15. Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious

February 9, 2014 at 9:03 am

Oh yeah…I want that….all of it, every bit of it.
    Hint: that “creme Anglaise” is also freaking delicious on hot oatmeal in the morning. Just sayin’

February 9, 2014 at 3:12 pm

oh my gawd, yes!! what a great idea! :)

16. Pingback: Flambéed Veal Chops #SundaySupper — MealDiva

17. Liz

February 9, 2014 at 9:32 am

Yup, I was just telling my friends about this easy way to make creme anglaise a couple weeks ago…I must have seen that Barefoot Contessa recipe. I love your easy, gorgeous berry parfaits…and your shortcuts, too. Know one would guess these beauties were so easy to make!

February 9, 2014 at 3:12 pm

thanks so much, Liz!!

18. Jennifer

February 9, 2014 at 10:15 am

Quick, yummy and beautiful! Perfect! :)

19. Pingback: Eggs in Purgatory for Valentine's Day Recipes for Two #SundaySupper | Noshing With The Nolands

20. Pingback: White Hot Chocolate | Pies and Plots

21. Katy

February 9, 2014 at 11:01 am

That is such a neat trick for a quick creme anglaise! And what a lovely Valentine’s dessert!

22. Stacy

February 9, 2014 at 11:13 am

What pretty dessert, Alice! You are absolutely right about people liking easy recipes. The trick is the easy thing that still looks fabulous and your fresh berry parfait fits the bill perfectly.

February 9, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Thank you so much, Stacy!!!

23. Nichole C

February 9, 2014 at 11:34 am

Oh wow, this is gorgeous and easy! And I love all the fresh berries!

February 9, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Thank you so much, Nichole! :)

24. Pingback: Malawian Mbatata Cookies with Coconut Cream for #SundaySupper | Happy Baking Days

25. Pingback: Vegan German Rose Water Sugar Cookie Recipe | Killer Bunnies, Inc

26. Anne @ Top Pressure Cooker Review

February 9, 2014 at 11:58 am

Wow! They are a bit tricky. I will definitely try those variations you mentioned. Thank you so much.

27. Pingback: Homemade Philly Cheesesteak Stromboli Valentine's #SundaySupper for Two - In The Kitchen With KP : In The Kitchen With KP

28. Laura Dembowski

February 9, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Trifle is always such an elegant dessert. Perfect for Valentine’s Day!

29. Tara

February 9, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Yummy, yummy, yummy, I love trifle!!

30. Melanie

February 9, 2014 at 1:12 pm

How smart is this?! Totally going to try this – although I’m not going to tell anyone how easy it was. ;)

February 9, 2014 at 3:15 pm

haha, love it!!

31. DB-The Foodie Stuntman @ Crazy Foodie Stunts

February 9, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Your dessert would pair well with Isabel’s crab dish. Her’s is quick and easy too. I’ve never made a crème anglaise so I’m intrigued.

32. Tammi @ Momma's Meals

February 9, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I love love love dessert in jars/cups like this. I love that you made it “healthy” but still guilty by adding the ice cream and chocolate syrup, great idea for a sweetheart treat!

February 9, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Thank you Tammi!! :)

33. Pingback: Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo #SundaySupper - Cookin' Mimi

34. Pingback: Chocolate Budino with Strawberry Hearts

35. Manu

February 9, 2014 at 5:16 pm

What a refreshing dessert idea! I like all the fruits that goes in it! And obviously I love creme anglaise!

36. Carla

February 9, 2014 at 5:24 pm

So easy yet so good! Every summer I go strawberry picking with my dad when it’s really hot outside. I can totally see me making these to relax and cool down.

37. Allie | Baking a Moment

February 9, 2014 at 5:44 pm

So pretty! And it doesn’t get much simpler!

38. Cindys Recipes and Writings

February 9, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Colorful and inviting, Alice! I’ll bring my own spoon!

39. Pingback: Roasted Vegetable Lasagna for A Romantic Valentine’s Meal for Two #SundaySupper

40. Laura

February 10, 2014 at 4:35 am

It has fresh fruit in it so that means it is good for me right. ;)

41. Pingback: Swiss Fondue for Two #SundaySupper » Curious Cuisiniere

42. Nancy @ gottagetbaked

February 11, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Alice, this is brilliant! I would never have thought of melting vanilla ice cream and using it as a sauce! Your trifle is beautiful and I love how easy it is to throw together.

43. Pingback: Gluten-Free Deep Dish Hot Fudge Brownies for Two for #SundaySupper - Cupcakes & Kale Chips

44. Aurica

February 14, 2014 at 9:50 am

wowwww…i have no words about this unbeliveble dessert, it’s marvelous and all i got to do is to get in action and prepare it..:)

February 14, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Thank you, Aurica! I hope you do make this. . you’ll love it! Happy Valentine’s Day!

45. Pingback: White Queso Mac and Cheese for Two #SundaySupper - Daily Dish Recipes

46. Pingback: Romantic Recipe for 2: Tilapia en Papillote (in parchment) It's Yummi!

47. Pingback: Funfetti Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle for #SundaySupper