So, after all the rich foods, chocolate and sweet treats you may have devoured last week (I certainly did), something lighter and more on the healthier side might be appealing to you right now. Out of all the different kinds of foods out there, I really feel like Japanese food is one of the healthiest. I mean, we’re talking fish, buckwheat noodles, marinated vegetables, sushi, chicken teriyaki. . what could be better?
Soba noodles, or Japanese buckwheat noodles, are one of my favorites! Not only do they take less than 5-6 minutes to cook, but they are healthy and tasty too. Growing up, my dad owned a couple Japanese restaurants so we always had plenty of Japanese food around and I really developed a love for sushi, Zaru soba and beef and chicken teriyaki.
I made sure to introduce Asian (a lot of Korean and Japanese) food to my daughters at an early age and I’m so glad I did. They can both gobble soba noodles down like nobody’s business. And when it comes to non-spicy Asian food, they will pretty much eat anything I put in front of them. Now, I just need to get them to eat kimchi.
This dish is really so easy and quick to make. If you’ve never tried soba noodles, I hope you do soon! You won’t regret it.
- 4 ounces soba noodles (Japanese buckwheat noodles)
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame (green soybeans)
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1½ tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Sesame seeds to sprinkle on top
- For a spicy alternative, mix in: 1½ tablespoons sweet chili sauce or sriracha sauce
- Cook soba noodles according to package directions, add the edamame for last 3 minutes. Rinse with warm water; drain well and set aside.
- Combine 2 tablespoons soy sauce, lime juice, and sesame oil in a medium bowl. Whisk well.
- Pour the soy sauce mixture over the soba noodles and mix in the cilantro and chopped green onion. I prefer using disposable plastic gloves so I can mix with my hands. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and garnish with more green onion (if preferred) and serve!
For another buckwheat sesame noodle recipe, see here or for a super yummy Vietnamese- style beef and soba noodle soup, click here. To pair this recipe with Tuna, see the recipe from Cooking Light here.
Skinny/Healthy Sunday Supper!
Check out all the other lovely lighter and healthier recipes from the rest of the Sunday Supper family! Enjoy!
Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
- Napa Cabbage wrapped Chinese Spring Rolls by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- #DairyFree Cream of Broccoli Soup by Galactosemia in PDX
- Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by NeighborFood
- Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Tomato Basil Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Skinny Beef Chili by Webicurean
Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
- Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Kale Salad with Pomegranates, Apples and Walnuts by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Salad Wraps by MamaMommyMom
- Mashed Cauliflower by Supper for a Steal
- Lamb Florentine Burger with Tzatziki by Country Girl in the Village
- Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wraps by The Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad by Family Foodie
- Parchment-Poached Salmon by Simply Gourmet
- Maddy’s Arugula Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Light chicken enchiladas by My Cute Bride
- Pear Almond Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pasta Primavera by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cauliflower Fried Rice by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ahi Tuna Salad by The Urban Mrs
- Soba Noodles with Edamame and Green Onions by Hip Foodie Mom
- Scallops Hong Kong Style by Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Garlic, Chicken & Herb White Pizza by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Polynesian Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Herb Roasted Salmon with Steamed Cabbage & Peas by The Lovely Pantry
- Turkey and Black Bean Taco Burgers by In The Kitchen With K P
- Salmon Tikka Wraps with Cucumber Raita by Soni’s Food
- Whole wheat pasta with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs by I Run For Wine
- Chipotle Black Bean Burgers with Baked Garlic Home Fries by Curious Cuisiniere
- The Ninja Baker’s Sake & Miso Salmon by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Parsnip Fries by Gourmet Drizzles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots by Mangoes and Chutney
- Italian Sub Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Swiss Chard and Quinoa Croquettes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette by Sustainable Dad
- Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad Sandwich by Damn Delicious
- Confetti Cabbage and Salmon Wraps by The Roxx Box
- Escarole and Beans by Midlife Roadtrip
- Cajun Black Beans by Ruffles and Truffles
- Caprese salad by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Skinny Wholegrain Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek Yogurt & Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate Avocado Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Tiramisu Parfaits by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sugar Free Banana Almond Muffins by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coconut Cinnamon Buns by Juanita’s Cocina
- Warm Apple Crumble by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Apricots by girlichef
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipe by Masala Herb
- Skinny Chocolate Almond Pudding by Basic N Delicious
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday Supper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. This week we will be sharing out special skinnified recipes! Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hash tag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Join us Around the Family Table this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time and share your favorite healthy recipes with us!