I am a pasta lover so I will always try a new pasta recipe if it looks good. . to me, you can never have too much pasta and I always want to experiment beyond just spaghetti noodles with meat sauce . . .
Admittedly, this is my first time cooking with prosciutto! I always seem to have bacon in the house when a recipe calls for it, so I end up using bacon. Although the two are different, bacon seems to be a worthy substitute. Prosciutto is a dry cured ham, that is usually thinly sliced and mostly served uncooked.
This recipe is Giada’s. I just changed a couple things and added tomatoes for some color! If you like pasta, prosciutto and asparagus, this one is a must try!
Spaghetti with Asparagus, Smoked Mozzarella and Prosciutto
- 1-2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- 3/4 pound spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut crosswise into strips (I cut mine a little too big so cut smaller and crosswise into thinner strips)
- 6 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, diced (about 1 cup); I used a parmesan, romano and asiago cheese blend (just for the topping at the end)
- 6 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes (optional; for color)
- 1 cup of the cooking liquid (when you make the pasta; wanted to call this out so you don’t dump all the water when the pasta is finished)