Lemon Spaghetti with spinach. Light, fresh, bright and oh so delicious! This spring themed pasta celebrates the coming of the new season and comes together super quick. We hope you try the recipe!
The first day of spring is right around the corner. I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to put away my sweaters and sweatpants and bring out the t-shirts. If I’m being honest, it’s been an interesting time. As a country, some of us are feeling down and unmotivated. Others have adapted well to this past year and are taking it in stride. I’ve definitely had my share of days where I have felt unmotivated and depressed. I notice a big shift in my attitude and mindset when I don’t exercise. So, big surprise, I need to be active and get my body moving.
For those of you who actually read this post, we are getting a puppy. A mini labradoodle at the end of April. The kids are beyond excited and this is going to be a huge step for my family and Cinnamon, our cat. I am really looking forward to getting outside, riding bikes and just enjoying the outdoors with my family this spring and summer.
Lemon Spaghetti with Spinach
Spring is one of my favorite seasons because of the produce. In the spring and summer, I especially love quick, easy-to-make recipes because you don’t want to be spending hours in the kitchen. This Lemon spaghetti, I don’t really know what to call it .. but lemon zest is the hero here. . is so delicious and light and you can easily add some chicken to round out the dish.
I roasted some asparagus on the side and served it with this pasta. Delicious!
Lemon Zest in Cooking
How do we feel about lemon zest? I love it so much for brightening up foods and dishes. It’s also great in soups and on roasted vegetables. Add some lemon zest, along with olive oil, salt and pepper before you roast in the oven. It’s so good!
Lemon Spaghetti with Spinach
- 1/2 lb. spaghetti
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cubed
- 1 heaping tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 1 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil leaves optional as garnish
- lemon wedges optional
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes. While the spaghetti is cooking, using a large pan or skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Continue to cook the butter until slightly browned and fragrant. Stir in the lemon zest and let cook for a minute.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the pasta water. Pour 1 cup pasta water into the skillet with the lemon zest and add in the spinach. Mix together for a minute or two, and add in the cooked spaghetti and the parmesan cheese. Using tongs, toss together the pasta with the lemon sauce and the cheese. You shouldn't need to add anymore liquid because the spinach will also release some liquid but if you need to, add some more of the reserved pasta water. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, mix together and taste. Adjust anything if needed. Garnish with some fresh basil and serve with lemon wedges; you can also garnish with some lemon zest if desired. Enjoy immediately!