Spelt Waffles with Blueberry Compote + A Giveaway! Spelt Waffles with Blueberry Compote and Lemon Ricotta Cream from Bobby Flay’s new cookbook, Bobby Flay Fit! 200 recipes for a healthy lifestyle!
In February 2016, I had the great pleasure of attending The South Beach Wine & Food Festival, hosted by The Food Network & Cooking Channel, in Miami, Florida with KitchenAid. It was four unforgettable days of sun, endless food, wine and celebrity chef watching and mingling. My friend and I had just had lunch at a restaurant in the south beach area, we were walking out, waiting for our uber. The door to the restaurant opens and out comes Bobby Flay. I stand there, trying not to look nervous or star struck, and start freaking out inside my head.
I’m a huge Bobby Flay fan and I keep thinking of ways of how to approach him in a cool, unassuming way . . my friend is also freaking out. . we look at each other, agree on what to say and turn around to head over to speak to him. And then, within seconds, the door opens again and his entire party comes out and he is surrounded within seconds.
I missed my chance. I wasn’t going to bother him. . he was with friends. . as we were driving back to the hotel, I keep groaning and saying damn it!!!! I was so upset that I didn’t think quicker. Anyway, at least I saw him in person. And dang, Bobby looks great in person. He looks good on TV but even better in person.
Recently, I was approached by Bobby’s team to help promote his new cookbook, Bobby Flay Fit.
“Cook, eat, and be fit with 200 recipes from Bobby Flay, whose approach to healthy eating is all about flavor—not eliminating anything from your diet!
With a profession that has him constantly developing and tasting new recipes, chef Bobby Flay does not eschew any foods: bread, bacon, and butter are still all on the table. His secret to staying healthy is to have on hand an arsenal of low-calorie flavor bombs—like rubs, relishes, and marinades—to transform lean proteins, whole grains, and fresh produce into craveworthy meals at home. In Bobby Flay Fit, Bobby shares smoothies and juices, breakfast bowls, snacks to fuel workouts, hearty salads, nourishing soups, satisfying dinners, and lightened-up desserts. With fitness tips and a look into the chef’s daily healthy routines, this cookbook is for those who want to eat right without overhauling their pantries or sacrificing taste.”
I immediately flipped through the book and landed on these Spelt Waffles with Blueberry Compote and Lemon Ricotta Cream! I already had the spelt flour from some cookies I had baked and was eager to try these waffles.
These waffles were absolutely amazing! I loved the taste and texture! and the blueberry compote was fabulous!
I can’t wait to try more recipes and love the range of recipes inside! Over the past 15+ years, Bobby’s recipes have never failed me so I am so excited to try more recipes in Bobby Flay Fit!
One (1) winner receives:
- copy of Bobby Flay Fit
- plus tools to get healthy in the kitchen: veggie prep station, spiralizer, and herbsicle!
Open to US addresses only.
Prizing and samples provided by Crown Publishing.
ENTER HERE: on Instagram
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta
- 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pint fresh blueberries, or 1 pound frozen blueberries, thawed
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups low fat buttermilk
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- nonstick baking spray
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, confectioners' sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice and whisk until light and fluffy. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours to allow the flavors to meld.
- In a small saucepan, combine the blueberries, ¼ cup water and the maple syrup and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until the mixture thickens, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, add the lemon juice and let cool at least slightly.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Set a rack on a baking sheet and put into the oven.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, butter, eggs and lemon zest. Add the flour mixture and mix until the batter is combined. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions, spray with nonstick spray. Pour batter onto the iron, leaving a ½ inch border on all sides. Close the iron and cook until the waffle is golden brown and crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer to the rack in the oven to keep warm; repeat with remaining batter.
- To serve: top the waffles with the blueberry compote and the ricotta cream. Garnish with lemon zest.
Reprinted from Bobby Flay Fit © 2017 by Bobby Flay (Clarkson Potter/Publishers, Penguin Random House).
Disclosure: Crown Publishing is partnering with me for a giveaway.