Strawberry Salad Tart. Celebrate spring with this savory and fresh spinach and strawberry tart! Using puff pastry makes this tart so easy to make and delicious!
These days I’ve been going to the grocery store every day. This working from home thing has me spoiled. And because I’m alone, the kids are at school. . grocery shopping is peaceful and enjoyable. And here’s a tip for you! Write out your grocery list based on the different sections in the store. For example, I always start in produce, to go dairy and then get baking items and pantry staples like beans, dried pasta etc. This will save you so much time and help you shop so much more efficiently!
And if you’re one of those people who goes to the grocery store with no shopping list, I got nothing. On the very few occasions I do that, we always end up with items I shouldn’t have purchased and I make ghetto spaghetti for dinner.
I’m using puff pastry again because it’s magical and Mother’s Day is Sunday. Your kids could make a tart with puff pastry! It’s so easy to work with! A reader left a comment after I posted this tart and said something like she would never ever ever bake something with puff pastry again because it was too messy.
Does anyone else feel the same way?
I use a pizza cutter to cut it and it’s quite simple actually. As long as you have a napkin, I think you’re fine. Yes, it’s flakey but it’s puff pastry! Even my Madeline can eat this and manage to not make a complete mess.
The beauty of puff pastry is that you can use it for both sweet and savory. I was totally going to make a sweet dessert tart today using either mascarpone (mixed with honey), or cream cheese, or even Nutella as the base and then was going to top this baby with an assortment of berries.
But I had an entire case of fresh spinach and these beautiful mache rosettes so I made this tart. I’m calling this my Strawberry Salad Tart because this is basically a salad on top of a tart.
I even added hemp seeds and balsamic glaze.
I’m pretty good about portion control but after making and photographing this, I ate 3 pieces! SO GOOD!
Happy Mother’s Day to all the beautiful, wonderful mothers out there! Has anyone else seen this? I’m so watching this movie when it comes out! Hilarious.
I also read this. Very touching. Definitely worth a read!
But ok, back to the tart .. make this! You will love it!
- one sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 heaping cup shredded mozzarella and provolone cheese blend + more cheese if desired
- 1 to 2 cups fresh spinach + a handful more
- ½ cup mache rosettes
- ½ cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- hemp seeds
- balsamic glaze
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Working on a well-floured work surface, roll out the defrosted puff pastry sheet into about a 16" x 10" rectangle, or a large square, whatever you want. Transfer to a lined baking sheet and, using a sharp knife, lightly score the pastry dough 1 inch in from the edges all around to mark a rectangle. Then, using a fork, pierce the dough all around in the center, (not the edges). Bake the pastry dough until golden, for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the pastry shell from the oven, let it sit for few minutes, pressing down the slightly puffed up tart if needed with a spoon and then spread on the dijon mustard, sprinkle on the shredded cheese to cover the top and then top with the fresh spinach.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the spinach is nicely wilted. Remove from oven and let cool for just a few minutes. Top with more fresh spinach and the mache rosettes and strawberries. Sprinkle on hemp seeds and drizzle on some balsamic glaze. Slice and serve while warm. Enjoy!
To watch me prep the puff pastry, click here. I use these hemp seeds.
And to my loving, warm, giving, selfless mother, I love you!!!! I strive to be like you everyday. And to my lovely, beautiful daughters, I love you! I love you! I love you! You two make being a mother worth it! Even on the days when you guys are fighting non-stop and are driving me crazy.
I love you THIS much! To the moon and back x 10,000!