Bloody Mary Smoothies. Oh yes I did.
What better way to incorporate more vegetables into your morning routine? I have so many friends who blend up a smoothie in the morning so here’s something special . . with a twist.
I’ve always had a thing for Bloody Mary cocktails. . don’t ask me why .. maybe because they have a little heat.. maybe because they are different and have been called “the world’s most complex cocktail.” So when I received the challenge from Williams-Sonoma to create a recipe on my blog showcasing the oddest smoothie combination I’ve ever tried for “Not Your Typical Smoothie” week, I couldn’t wait to get started! Bizarre and unique ingredients, welcomed.
So, armed with some celery, tomato juice, yogurt, Worcestershire sauce and gochujang (yes, you read that right), I went to work. And just to set the record straight, I love gochujang and will try this in anything. . yes, even smoothies. This might seem like a weird combination but if you like Bloody Mary cocktails, you will love this. Keep an open mind, folks.
All you do is blend everything up, throw in a celery and cucumber stick and you’re set. This might be all of your daily vegetable servings in one shot. Don’t quote me on that. And there’s no vodka in here so bottoms up!! Have one for breakfast!
Bloody Mary Smoothies for @WilliamsSonoma Smoothie Week
- 1 large celery stalk cut into 2 inch pieces, plus extra celery sticks with leaves for serving
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 cups tomato juice
- freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon gochujang
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more if needed
- few dashes of Tabasco sauce plus more if needed
- English cucumber sticks to serve unpeeled and cut
- Using your blender, blend/puree all of the ingredients from the celery stick to the Tabasco sauce until smooth. Taste and adjust any ingredients to your taste. Serve in tall glasses with a stick of celery and cucumber. Enjoy immediately.
Adapted from The Food Network’s Bloody Mary cocktail recipe.
Disclosure: This is not a sponsored post. All opinions expressed here are 100% my own.