Mexican Biscuit Casserole! Change up taco night with this Mexican Biscuit Casserole! Taco seasoned ground beef with black beans and beef, topped with big flaky buttermilk biscuits! It’s so good!
I’d like to think that my kids are pretty adventurous eaters. Well, sometimes. . and when bribed with ice cream, we can usually get them to try something new. I might try this tactic every now and then and especially when I’ve slaved away at something fabulous and I want my kids to try it.
What I don’t have to worry about is Mexican food. My kids inherited my husband’s love for Mexican food. They crave and ask for tacos and beans and rice and now love snacking on tortilla chips and salsa. Like, all the time.
My kids think Chipotle is fabulous. Well, I do love their burrito bowls. . .
This dish was inspired by my craving for big buttermilk flaky biscuits and buying some Pillsbury Grands at the grocery store and wanting to mix up taco night just a little bit.
My kids don’t like a lot of cheese (yes, they are really my kids) so I only added a little chipotle cheddar cheese towards the end of baking. I also slathered butter on my biscuits before and during baking to get the nice, golden brown tops. You can scoop up the taco meat with the biscuits or eat the biscuits separately and use taco shells (what we did for my kids).
And they liked this!! They really liked it! Winning right here.
I hope you enjoy!
Mexican Biscuit Casserole
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 - 1.25 oz package taco seasoning mix or homemade taco seasoning
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 - 15 oz can black beans
- 1 package Pillsbury Grands biscuits
- 1 to 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chipotle cheddar cheese freshly grated
- serve with salsa and sour cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Using a large skillet over medium high heat, heat the olive oil. After a minute or two, add the diced onions and bell peppers and saute for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the lean ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the taco seasoning mix, frozen corn and black beans and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Immediately pour the hot ground beef mixture into your casserole dish and top with the biscuits.
- Brush the melted butter on top of each biscuit and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove from the oven and sprinkle on the cheese. Brush biscuits with more butter and bake for another 3 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.