We’ve been in Madison now for two weeks. I can hardly believe it. It’s been crazy busy since we got here. Kids started school and I’ve been unpacking, cleaning, getting to know our new city and new friends.
We’ve had a very warm welcome from all of our neighbors. Went to our first cocktail party get together for my husband’s new job on Friday and Saturday night we hosted our very first dinner party! I was a bit excited and ambitious and planned an extensive menu. Everything was absolutely delicious but Mother Nature was not on my side. Rain all day and it looked like it was 9pm at 3pm. Hence, the horrible photos. No natural light anywhere.
Regardless of how this lasagna looks, it tasted delicious. Roasted butternut squash in browned butter with sage and layers upon layers of ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan. This lasagna was fabulous.
My husband later told me, “This was the best vegetarian lasagna you have made!” And even though I had to make something completely different for my kids, I would make this again in a heartbeat. In fact, I probably will be making this again very soon. I hope you enjoy!
Roasted Butternut Squash Lasagna
- 2 large butternut squashes about 2 pounds each, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil + more for lasagna noodles
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Store bought dried Lasagna Noodles; cooked you will only use 3/4 of the package
- 1 pound whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese; split
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4-5 fresh sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle butternut squash halves with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast squashes, cut sides down, on a rimmed baking sheet until tender and browned, for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool. Scoop soft, roasted flesh from skins, and mash together by hand with a fork. Set aside.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside, drizzling olive oil in between each lasagna noodle so as not to stick together.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, heavy cream, egg yolks, mozzarella, 1 cup of the parmesan and a pinch of nutmeg. Mix together and season with salt. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saute pan over medium-high heat. As soon as it starts to sizzle, add the fresh sage, and cook until light gold and crisp at edges, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the crispy sage leaves and set aside (do not discard). Mix in the roasted butternut squash and begin to assemble your lasagna.
- To assemble the lasagna: Spread 3/4 cup of the ricotta mixture in your baking dish. Top with a layer of noodles. Spread 1/2 of the butternut squash mixture over noodles. Top with a layer of noodles. Spread 1 cup of ricotta mixture over noodles. Repeat layering once more (noodles, squash, noodles, ricotta). Sprinkle remaining cup of Parmesan (+ more if needed) over the ricotta mixture.
- Place your baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until the cheese is golden and bubbling, for about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and crumble the crispy sage leaves on top. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Original Recipe from Martha Stewart.
Today’s Sunday Supper is all about all types of winter squash . . so you definitely have to check out this list of delicious recipes! Butternut squash, Acorn squash, spaghetti squash, pumpkin. . you name it, it’s here!! Heather from Girlichef.com is hosting so you know today is going to be fabulous . . enjoy!
Breakfasts and Breads
- Maple Butternut Squash Donuts from Mess Makes Food
- Pumpkin Sweet Rolls from Basic N Delicious
- Vegan Pumpkin Scones with Maple Nutmeg Icing from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Appetizers, Starters, and Condiments
- Butternut Squash and Couscous Patties-Indian Inspired from Soni’s Food
- Pumpkin Hummus with Spiced Lamb from girlichef
- Quick Pumpkin Butter from Shockingly Delicious
Soups, Sandwiches, and Salads
- Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili from Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Pumpkin Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Butternut Squash and Bacon Grilled Cheese from Ruffles & Truffles
- Butternut Squash Soup from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hearty Quinoa Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash from Citronlimette
- Roasted Buttercup Squash and Black Bean Soup (Dairy free) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Roasted Squash and Mexican Black Bean Salad from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Roasted Squash and Sesame Noodle Salad from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Quesadillas from The Dinner-Mom
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Balsamic Brown Butter from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Butternut Squash Lasagna from Hip Foodie Mom
- Butternut Squash-Sage Cream Sauce with Sausage Spaghetti from Daily Dish Recipes
- Carnival Squash with Maple Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chorizo-Stuffed Acorn Squash from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Butternut Squash with Spicy Wild Rice and Queso Fresco from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Pumpkin Alfredo from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Enchiladas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pumpkin Risotto with Bacon, Goat Cheese, and Pecans from The Weekend Gourmet
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprout Pizza from Curious Cuisiniere
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Messy Baker
- Spaghetti Squash in a Creamy Sausage Sauce from Cookin’ Mimi
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi from Pescetarian Journal
- Acorn Squash with Cinnamon and Cranberries from Noshing With The Nolands
- Butternut Squash and Apple Crumble from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Butternut Squash Gratin with Sage Pesto & Gorgonzola from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chorizo and Craisin Stuffed Acorn Squash from Family Foodie
- Parmesan-Roasted Acorn Squash from The Urban Mrs
- Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese from Big Bear’s Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Balsamic Vinegar Honey Butter from Food Lust People Love
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Wilted Kale, Mushrooms and Garlic from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Skillet Buttercup Squash with Bacon from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Squash and Apples from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Sweet N Spicy Baked Chipotle Butternut Squash Fries from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Twice Baked Pumpkin Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Cupcakes with Browned Butter Frosting from Treats & Trinkets
- Pumpkin Pie Crumb Bars from Pies and Plots
Wine Pairing Recommendations for Squashin’ Winter #SundaySupper from Enofylz Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.