So, we recently moved to the beautiful state of Washington. . love it here. . it’s beautiful, lush and there are trees everywhere! One big problem- however- there is not a Sprinkles Cupcakes here. Now, don’t get me wrong, I know there are other bakeries and will probably, sometime soon, definitely come across a comparable cupcake. . but until then, I might have to buy my Sprinkles cupcake mix and make them myself at home. I have a lot of work to do with the frosting and granted, I did all of this with a HAND MIXER. Yes, you read that correctly. Home girl does not have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer . . I will probably get one soon but feel like I need to master the art of frosting cupcakes first. How often do people really use their stand mixers anyway? Do I really want to ask that question?
If you truly want to attempt to bake these from scratch, the recipe for Sprinkles’ Strawberry Cupcakes is below. This is the only one I found online.
OR you can just order the cupcake mix from Williams-Sonoma.com, $14.95 a pop. The Vanilla cupcakes are made with Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon vanilla.
All you need is the following: For the cupcakes: 3 eggs (2 of which you will only be using the egg whites), 1 stick unsalted butter, & 3/4 cup milk. For the frosting (which I attempted and then threw out which you will see below): 2 sticks unsalted butter, 3.5 cups confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 tsp milk, 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/8 tsp salt. Baking instructions, as well as the MODERN DOTS, are included.
Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes Recipe
- 2/3 cup whole fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- Sprinkles’ Strawberry Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
- Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about 1/3 cup of puree, add a few more strawberries if necessary or save any extra puree for frosting; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla, and strawberry puree; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.