Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad for #SundaySupper

Apple Spinach Zucchini Salad_mixed |

I’ve been seeing little signs.

Warmer temperatures, less snow fall, actual birds in our backyard sitting on the kids’ play structure, which isn’t completely covered in snow anymore. And I can start to see parts of our grass again. The snow is melting.

Signs of Spring!! I cannot wait for the Madison Farmers Market to open again outside. .  April 19th! I can’t wait.  In anticipation for Spring, I’ve been creating lots of salads.

Apple Spinach Zucchini Salad_vertical |

This salad is the bomb. So good and easy to throw together. And yes, I’m eating zucchini raw in this salad. Again. It’s delicious and healthy and good for you. “Consuming raw or grilled zucchini — a long, cylindrical variety of summer squash with green or yellow skin — counts toward the nine 1/2-cup servings of fruits and vegetables you should consume each day, according to the Harvard School of Public Health.”

Apple Spinach Zucchini Salad_large |

Apple Spinach Zucchini Salad_vertical_bite |

The fun and appeal of this salad for me, aside from the great taste, is the way I cut all of the ingredients. Because it’s all julienned and mixed together, I feel like you get more flavor and *punch* with each bite. You’ll want to use a mandoline julienne slicer or your julienne slicer or peeler.

Apple Salad_upclose

I used my favorite Red Wine and Olive Oil Vinaigrette from Trader Joe’s when photographing this salad and eating it for the first time. Since then, I’ve made a few different kinds of dressings . . make your own or use your favorite dressing in a bottle. .  just make this salad! and let’s ring in Spring together!

I hope you enjoy!

Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Salad
Serves: 2-3

For the salad:
  • 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped or in thin shreds
  • 1 cup fresh shredded green cabbage
  • 1 cup raw zucchini, julienned, cut into thin matchsticks or curls from a spiralizer
  • ½ heaping cup apple, julienned or cut into thin matchsticks (use any sweet/sour crisp apple such as Granny Smith, Gala, Honeycrisp or Jonagold)
  • strawberries, thinly sliced for garnish
  • ½ cup sliced almonds
  • sliced avocado
  • your favorite vinaigrette dressing

For the salad:
  1. Cut/prep all of the ingredients and place into a large mixing bowl. Mix together, add dressing. Sprinkle with additional sliced almonds if desired, top with the fresh strawberries and serve with avocado slices and crusty bread.

Other salad dressing ideas: Cilantro Vinaigrette and Basil Vinaigrette. I LOVE this Lemon Dressing and I totally want to try this Creamy Garlic Lime Vinaigrette!

Apple Spinach Zucchini Salad_vert_with bread |

This week’s Sunday Supper is all about eating your greens! Something I firmly stand behind! And today, the awesome DB, aka The Foodie Stuntman of Crazy Foodie Stunts is hosting. DB is like the only active “guy” participating in Sunday Supper and I think it’s pretty awesome. .  in fact, I’m doing a guest post for him on Wednesday so be sure to visit his blog!

Green Light Appetizers and Sides

Getting Greens Through Salads

Entreés That Will Leave You Green With Envy

Desserts and Beverages That Will Make Others Turn Green

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST.  Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

57 Responses to "Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad for #SundaySupper"

1. The different dressing ideas are such a great idea. Beautiful photog, as always and thanks for participating this week.

2. Manu

March 16, 2014 at 5:04 am

So colourful and so beautiful! I love the idea of mixing apples and strawberries with zucchini and nuts! It must be delicious!

3. Alice

March 16, 2014 at 5:51 am

Thus it begins! There’s a beautiful exchange of lighter recipes as the northern hemisphere heads into spring like, summertime fare. Love the addition if strawberries & balsamic. Meanwhile in the Southern Hemisphere we slowly enjoy more baking days and heart soups & stews pop up on the radar.

4. Pingback: National Artichoke Hearts Day | Creamy Green Pizza for #SundaySupper

5. Pingback: Creamy Chicken Pesto Salad #SundaySupper #green - Cindy's RecipesCindy's Recipes and Writings

6. Pingback: Asparagus Chicken Flatbread Pizza — Family Foodie

7. Liz

March 16, 2014 at 7:57 am

What a gorgeous salad!!! Fresh flavors and oh, so yummy!!! It sure makes me think of spring (though it feels like the dead of winter again today!).

8. Pingback: Polenta Crust Creamed Spinach Tart - Cupcakes & Kale Chips

9. Pingback: Healthy Green Pasta for #SundaySupper |

10. Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch)

March 16, 2014 at 8:17 am

Beautiful salad. Love dishes like this. And would you please send those signs of Spring to Denver??? Only thing I’ve seen is one little miserable cold puffed up Robin in our back yard. (not singing) :) Nice cooking with you for Sunday Supper.

11. Pingback: We're Eating our Greens for #SundaySupper!

12. Pingback: Lemon Kiwi Meringue Pie #SundaySupper - Desserts Required

13. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers

March 16, 2014 at 8:59 am

Yum! What a great salad! I love zucchini and apples and I know I would just love your salad!

14. Pingback: Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes #SundaySupper — MealDiva

15. Pingback: Lime Meltaways | Pies and Plots

16. Jennifer B

March 16, 2014 at 9:49 am

LOVE this salad! I would pair it with a simple red wine and vinegar, or even balsamic.

17. Pingback: Baileys Mint Ice Cream and Chocolate Stout Float #SundaySupper - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen | The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

18. Pingback: Collard Greens, Mushroom and Cheddar Bread Pudding #SundaySupper | The Texan New Yorker

19. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips

March 16, 2014 at 12:19 pm

You are totally inspiring me to get more creative with my spiralizer. This looks amazing!

20. Shaina

March 16, 2014 at 12:48 pm

What an interesting combination, sounds delicious!

21. Melanie

March 16, 2014 at 1:20 pm

If you promise Spring is coming, I’ll believe you! This looks delicious!

22. Pingback: Green Rice #SundaySupper | Basic N Delicious

23. Cheryl

March 16, 2014 at 1:52 pm

It looks so fresh and yummy. I have never used zucchini in a fresh salad, but what a great idea. I’m warming up to it! I can’t wait for summer season when my mom’s garden is full of zucchini and I can us it in tons and tons of salads (and soups & treats & casseroles & & &). Thanks for sharing this great idea! HUGS

24. Laura Dembowski

March 16, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Love all the ingredients in this salad! It’s so fun to make different kinds of dressings too! Yes, there are signs of spring, but I wish they’d come a little faster. Here in SE Michigan, our farmers’ markets kick off in May, but typically aren’t even worth visiting until June or even july.

25. whatjessicabakednext

March 16, 2014 at 2:10 pm

This looks delicious! Love the colours and whole freshness!

26. Pingback: Pixie Dust Salad with Avocados, Pixie Tangerines and Radishes — Shockingly Delicious

27. Becca from It's Yummi!

March 16, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Your salad is full of such great colors, flavors, and textures! I bet it’s absolutely delicious :)
    It was fun cooking up #SundaySupper with you!

28. Pingback: Slow Cooker Stout Chicken Stew #SundaySupper

29. susan

March 16, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Yet another beautiful salad! You are clearly getting me in the mood for spring and summer and I know it’s colder by you than me!

30. Pingback: Green Tea Latte

31. Roz

March 16, 2014 at 7:15 pm

This is such a beautiful salad and is SO putting me in the mood for spring (even in SC where I live, it’s been colder this year). Madison Farmer’s Market? as in Madison, Wisconsin? If so, I’m sure it is one that is stellar!!! Now following and so glad to! With recipes like this, I’ll be addicted to your posts!

32. The Ninja Baker

March 16, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Sooo gorgeous, Alice! The Madison Farmer’s Market undoubtedly rivals the fresh air markets here in Santa Monica =)

P.s. Of course, your salad photo was pinned!

33. Liren

March 16, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Ah, it is starting to really feel like spring! Salads help speed up the process, don’t they? This is a beauty!

March 16, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Yes! Thank you so much, Liren!

34. Bea

March 17, 2014 at 12:04 am

Raw zucchini is so good and your salad just looks amazing! Perfect for spring!!!

35. Tracy

March 17, 2014 at 4:44 am

I love a bunch of goodies on my salad and this looks like a fabulous combination! I will definitely have to try it!

36. Cathy

March 17, 2014 at 9:45 am

This inviting salad will get me through until our own farmers markets open — thanks!

37. Pingback: Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potatoes #SundaySupper | Webicurean

38. Pingback: Shamrock Cookies #SundaySupper - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks

39. MealDiva

March 17, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I want some right now! This looks yummy~ a fantastic salad recipe!

40. Cindys Recipes and Writings

March 18, 2014 at 4:13 am

Love this combo it sounds so refreshing!

41. Laura Hunter

March 18, 2014 at 9:15 am

I can’t wait until strawberry season, spinach and strawberry salad is my favourite summer salad.

42. Christy

March 18, 2014 at 9:58 am

This is gorgeous. I live in the Coachella Valley (aka Palm Springs) and we have been in the 80’s since mid-January so we are always looking for unique and different salad combinations. We will definitely be trying your #SundaySupper Salad.

March 18, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Thanks so much, Christy!! I hope you enjoy it. . :)

43. Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures

March 18, 2014 at 3:00 pm

This looks so fresh, healthy and delicious! Can’t wait for spring :)

March 19, 2014 at 6:16 am

Thanks so much, Laura! Me too!!! It’s almost here!

44. Miss Kim @ behgopa

March 18, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Yum! Love all the ingredients of this dish, especially the avocados! Love love avocados!

Glad to hear you are seeing signs of spring. In LA, it’s been too hot on and off. Love spring and fall (fall the most actually). The recipe looks so refreshingly springtime-ish!

March 19, 2014 at 6:15 am

Thanks so much Aera!! This is like my all time fave salad now :)

45. Connie | URBAN BAKES

March 18, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I love everything about this. From the baby spinach, the apples and strawberries to what’s most important, the avocados! Mmm… I betcha I’d eat much healthier if I were around you. Your dishes are my kinda taste.

March 19, 2014 at 6:14 am

Thanks so much, Connie! I don’t eat healthy all the time but definitely trying now that we’re hitting Spring! :) Cheers!

46. Pingback: Shamrock Spinach Crepes #SundaySupper » Curious Cuisiniere

47. Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious

March 19, 2014 at 9:25 am

Every part of this salad totally counts towards your 9-a-day! Just beautiful.

48. Cut 'N Clean Greens

March 19, 2014 at 9:28 am

Wow — pretty and so very healthy!
    We love this salad and are going to link to it from our social media (Twitter and Facebook), so our followers can see how you made it.

Keep up the good cookin’ and we invite you to follow us for even more delicious recipes starring healthy greens.

–Your friendly Southern California farmers at Cut ‘N Clean Greens

49. Pingback: Brussels Sprout Slaw – Eat Your Greens for #SundaySupper

50. Nancy @ gottagetbaked

March 19, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Holy shizz I’m actually salivating over a salad here! This look so fresh and delicious and healthy, Alice. And besides the cabbage, I love every single ingredient, especially those beautiful strawberries and that luscious avocado. Dang. You’re brilliant for julienning (is that word?!) the veggies so that you get an even distribution of ingredients in every bite. Plus it’s way easier to eat. Love this! And yes, spring is slowly but surely coming. I don’t know how you made it through that insanely snowy, freezing winter of yours!

51. laurasmess

March 20, 2014 at 2:35 am

What a beautiful clean, vibrant salad! I’ve never actually eaten zucchini raw (despite just finishing the end of summer, shock!) but I think that I need to try it… preferably in this gorgeous mix with apples and strawberries. Hope you’re enjoying some slightly warmer weather beautiful! x

52. Pingback: Roasted Asparagus Eggs Benedict With Cajun Hollandaise #SundaySupper