Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad!!! A wonderful, light and easy to whip up summer salad! Use up your garden zucchini and give this salad a try!
I’ve been seeing little signs.
Warmer temperatures, less snow fall, actual birds in our backyard sitting on the kids’ play structure, which isn’t completely covered in snow anymore. And I can start to see parts of our grass again. The snow is melting.
Signs of Spring!! I cannot wait for the Madison Farmers Market to open again outside. . April 19th! I can’t wait. In anticipation for Spring, I’ve been creating lots of salads.
This salad is the bomb. So good and easy to throw together. And yes, I’m eating zucchini raw in this salad. Again. It’s delicious and healthy and good for you. “Consuming raw or grilled zucchini — a long, cylindrical variety of summer squash with green or yellow skin — counts toward the nine 1/2-cup servings of fruits and vegetables you should consume each day, according to the Harvard School of Public Health.”
The fun and appeal of this salad for me, aside from the great taste, is the way I cut all of the ingredients. Because it’s all julienned and mixed together, I feel like you get more flavor and *punch* with each bite. You’ll want to use a mandoline julienne slicer or your julienne slicer or peeler.
I used my favorite Red Wine and Olive Oil Vinaigrette from Trader Joe’s when photographing this salad and eating it for the first time. Since then, I’ve made a few different kinds of dressings . . make your own or use your favorite dressing in a bottle. . just make this salad! and let’s ring in Spring together!
I hope you enjoy!
Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad
For the salad:
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach chopped or in thin shreds
- 1 cup fresh shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup raw zucchini julienned, cut into thin matchsticks or curls from a spiralizer
- 1/2 heaping cup apple julienned or cut into thin matchsticks (use any sweet/sour crisp apple such as Granny Smith, Gala, Honeycrisp or Jonagold)
- strawberries thinly sliced for garnish
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- sliced avocado
- your favorite vinaigrette dressing
For the salad:
- Cut/prep all of the ingredients and place into a large mixing bowl. Mix together, add dressing. Sprinkle with additional sliced almonds if desired, top with the fresh strawberries and serve with avocado slices and crusty bread.
Other salad dressing ideas: Cilantro Vinaigrette and Basil Vinaigrette. I LOVE this Lemon Dressing and I totally want to try this Creamy Garlic Lime Vinaigrette!
This week’s Sunday Supper is all about eating your greens! Something I firmly stand behind! And today, the awesome DB, aka The Foodie Stuntman of Crazy Foodie Stunts is hosting. DB is like the only active “guy” participating in Sunday Supper and I think it’s pretty awesome. . in fact, I’m doing a guest post for him on Wednesday so be sure to visit his blog!
Green Light Appetizers and Sides
- Espinacas con Crema (Creamed Spinach) from La Cocina de Leslie
- Steakhouse Style Creamed Spinach from It’s Yummi!
- Oven-Fried Green Beans from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Irish Champ from girlichef
- Fresh Herb Tabouleh from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Moroccan Greens from Cooking On The Ranch
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Polenta Crust Creamed Spinach Tart from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes from MealDiva
- Spinach and Artichoke Squares from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Green Rice from Basic N Delicious
- Broccoli and Blue Cheese Tarts from Mess Makes Food
- Avocado Fries from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Spinach Cashew Pakoras with Tangy Date Sauce from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potatoes from Webicurean
Getting Greens Through Salads
- Pixie Dust Salad with Avocados, Pixie Tangerines and Radishes from Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Broccoli Spinach Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Asparagus-Fennel-Pea Shoot Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing from The Foodie Army Wife
- Creamy Chicken Pesto Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Entreés That Will Leave You Green With Envy
- Eggs and Greens Pizza from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Creamy Green Pizza from The Foodie Patootie
- Shamrock Spinach Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Healthy Green Pasta from Momma’s Meals
- Swiss Chard & Sausage Pasta Bake from Delaware Girl Eats
- Smothered Cabbage with Pork from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Fettuccine with Bacon Alfredo from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Roasted Asparagus Eggs Benedict With Cajun Hollandaise from Having Fun Saving
- Indulgent Pesto Risotto from The Weekend Gourmet
- Twice Baked Turkey Pie with Cabbage from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Slow-Cooker Irish Stout Chicken Stew from FoodieTots
- Chicken and Asparagus Flatbread Pizza from Family Foodie
Desserts and Beverages That Will Make Others Turn Green
- Lemon Kiwi Meringue Pie from Desserts Required
- Mint Cookies and Stout Shake from Melanie Makes
- Verde Sangria from Country Girl in the Village
- Baileys Mint Ice Cream & Chocolate Stout Float from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shamrock Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Green Tea Latte from Manu’s Menu
- Grasshopper Mousse from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Amazing Grass Brownies from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Leprechaun Ice Cream from Cookistry
- White Chocolate Cupcakes with Pistachio Pudding Frosting from Cookin’ Mimi
- Collard Greens, Mushroom, and Cheddar Bread Pudding from The Texan New Yorker
- Coconut Avocado Ice Cream from URBAN BAKES
- Lime Meltaways from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Mint Cake from NinjaBaking.com
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
DB-The Foodie Stuntman @ Crazy Foodie Stunts says
The different dressing ideas are such a great idea. Beautiful photog, as always and thanks for participating this week.
So colourful and so beautiful! I love the idea of mixing apples and strawberries with zucchini and nuts! It must be delicious!
Thus it begins! There’s a beautiful exchange of lighter recipes as the northern hemisphere heads into spring like, summertime fare. Love the addition if strawberries & balsamic. Meanwhile in the Southern Hemisphere we slowly enjoy more baking days and heart soups & stews pop up on the radar.
What a gorgeous salad!!! Fresh flavors and oh, so yummy!!! It sure makes me think of spring (though it feels like the dead of winter again today!).
Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) says
Beautiful salad. Love dishes like this. And would you please send those signs of Spring to Denver??? Only thing I’ve seen is one little miserable cold puffed up Robin in our back yard. (not singing) 🙂 Nice cooking with you for Sunday Supper.
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers says
Yum! What a great salad! I love zucchini and apples and I know I would just love your salad!
Jennifer B says
LOVE this salad! I would pair it with a simple red wine and vinegar, or even balsamic.
Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips says
You are totally inspiring me to get more creative with my spiralizer. This looks amazing!
What an interesting combination, sounds delicious!
If you promise Spring is coming, I’ll believe you! This looks delicious!
It looks so fresh and yummy. I have never used zucchini in a fresh salad, but what a great idea. I’m warming up to it! I can’t wait for summer season when my mom’s garden is full of zucchini and I can us it in tons and tons of salads (and soups & treats & casseroles & & &). Thanks for sharing this great idea! HUGS
Laura Dembowski says
Love all the ingredients in this salad! It’s so fun to make different kinds of dressings too! Yes, there are signs of spring, but I wish they’d come a little faster. Here in SE Michigan, our farmers’ markets kick off in May, but typically aren’t even worth visiting until June or even july.
This looks delicious! Love the colours and whole freshness!
Becca from It's Yummi! says
Your salad is full of such great colors, flavors, and textures! I bet it’s absolutely delicious 🙂
It was fun cooking up #SundaySupper with you!
Yet another beautiful salad! You are clearly getting me in the mood for spring and summer and I know it’s colder by you than me!
This is such a beautiful salad and is SO putting me in the mood for spring (even in SC where I live, it’s been colder this year). Madison Farmer’s Market? as in Madison, Wisconsin? If so, I’m sure it is one that is stellar!!! Now following and so glad to! With recipes like this, I’ll be addicted to your posts!
The Ninja Baker says
Sooo gorgeous, Alice! The Madison Farmer’s Market undoubtedly rivals the fresh air markets here in Santa Monica =)
P.s. Of course, your salad photo was pinned!
Ah, it is starting to really feel like spring! Salads help speed up the process, don’t they? This is a beauty!
Yes! Thank you so much, Liren!
Raw zucchini is so good and your salad just looks amazing! Perfect for spring!!!
I love a bunch of goodies on my salad and this looks like a fabulous combination! I will definitely have to try it!
This inviting salad will get me through until our own farmers markets open — thanks!
I want some right now! This looks yummy~ a fantastic salad recipe!
Cindys Recipes and Writings says
Love this combo it sounds so refreshing!
Laura Hunter says
I can’t wait until strawberry season, spinach and strawberry salad is my favourite summer salad.
This is gorgeous. I live in the Coachella Valley (aka Palm Springs) and we have been in the 80’s since mid-January so we are always looking for unique and different salad combinations. We will definitely be trying your #SundaySupper Salad.
Thanks so much, Christy!! I hope you enjoy it. . 🙂
Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures says
This looks so fresh, healthy and delicious! Can’t wait for spring 🙂
Thanks so much, Laura! Me too!!! It’s almost here!
Miss Kim @ behgopa says
Yum! Love all the ingredients of this dish, especially the avocados! Love love avocados!
Glad to hear you are seeing signs of spring. In LA, it’s been too hot on and off. Love spring and fall (fall the most actually). The recipe looks so refreshingly springtime-ish!
Thanks so much Aera!! This is like my all time fave salad now 🙂
Connie | URBAN BAKES says
I love everything about this. From the baby spinach, the apples and strawberries to what’s most important, the avocados! Mmm… I betcha I’d eat much healthier if I were around you. Your dishes are my kinda taste.
Thanks so much, Connie! I don’t eat healthy all the time but definitely trying now that we’re hitting Spring! 🙂 Cheers!
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious says
Every part of this salad totally counts towards your 9-a-day! Just beautiful.
Cut 'N Clean Greens says
Wow — pretty and so very healthy!
We love this salad and are going to link to it from our social media (Twitter and Facebook), so our followers can see how you made it.
Keep up the good cookin’ and we invite you to follow us for even more delicious recipes starring healthy greens.
–Your friendly Southern California farmers at Cut ‘N Clean Greens
Nancy @ gottagetbaked says
Holy shizz I’m actually salivating over a salad here! This look so fresh and delicious and healthy, Alice. And besides the cabbage, I love every single ingredient, especially those beautiful strawberries and that luscious avocado. Dang. You’re brilliant for julienning (is that word?!) the veggies so that you get an even distribution of ingredients in every bite. Plus it’s way easier to eat. Love this! And yes, spring is slowly but surely coming. I don’t know how you made it through that insanely snowy, freezing winter of yours!
What a beautiful clean, vibrant salad! I’ve never actually eaten zucchini raw (despite just finishing the end of summer, shock!) but I think that I need to try it… preferably in this gorgeous mix with apples and strawberries. Hope you’re enjoying some slightly warmer weather beautiful! x