Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad!!! A wonderful, light and easy to whip up summer salad! Use up your garden zucchini and give this salad a try!
I’ve been seeing little signs.
Warmer temperatures, less snow fall, actual birds in our backyard sitting on the kids’ play structure, which isn’t completely covered in snow anymore. And I can start to see parts of our grass again. The snow is melting.
Signs of Spring!! I cannot wait for the Madison Farmers Market to open again outside. . April 19th! I can’t wait. In anticipation for Spring, I’ve been creating lots of salads.
This salad is the bomb. So good and easy to throw together. And yes, I’m eating zucchini raw in this salad. Again. It’s delicious and healthy and good for you. “Consuming raw or grilled zucchini — a long, cylindrical variety of summer squash with green or yellow skin — counts toward the nine 1/2-cup servings of fruits and vegetables you should consume each day, according to the Harvard School of Public Health.”
The fun and appeal of this salad for me, aside from the great taste, is the way I cut all of the ingredients. Because it’s all julienned and mixed together, I feel like you get more flavor and *punch* with each bite. You’ll want to use a mandoline julienne slicer or your julienne slicer or peeler.
I used my favorite Red Wine and Olive Oil Vinaigrette from Trader Joe’s when photographing this salad and eating it for the first time. Since then, I’ve made a few different kinds of dressings . . make your own or use your favorite dressing in a bottle. . just make this salad! and let’s ring in Spring together!
I hope you enjoy!
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped or in thin shreds
- 1 cup fresh shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup raw zucchini, julienned, cut into thin matchsticks or curls from a spiralizer
- ½ heaping cup apple, julienned or cut into thin matchsticks (use any sweet/sour crisp apple such as Granny Smith, Gala, Honeycrisp or Jonagold)
- strawberries, thinly sliced for garnish
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- sliced avocado
- your favorite vinaigrette dressing
- Cut/prep all of the ingredients and place into a large mixing bowl. Mix together, add dressing. Sprinkle with additional sliced almonds if desired, top with the fresh strawberries and serve with avocado slices and crusty bread.
Other salad dressing ideas: Cilantro Vinaigrette and Basil Vinaigrette. I LOVE this Lemon Dressing and I totally want to try this Creamy Garlic Lime Vinaigrette!
This week’s Sunday Supper is all about eating your greens! Something I firmly stand behind! And today, the awesome DB, aka The Foodie Stuntman of Crazy Foodie Stunts is hosting. DB is like the only active “guy” participating in Sunday Supper and I think it’s pretty awesome. . in fact, I’m doing a guest post for him on Wednesday so be sure to visit his blog!
Green Light Appetizers and Sides
- Espinacas con Crema (Creamed Spinach) from La Cocina de Leslie
- Steakhouse Style Creamed Spinach from It’s Yummi!
- Oven-Fried Green Beans from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Irish Champ from girlichef
- Fresh Herb Tabouleh from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Moroccan Greens from Cooking On The Ranch
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Polenta Crust Creamed Spinach Tart from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes from MealDiva
- Spinach and Artichoke Squares from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Green Rice from Basic N Delicious
- Broccoli and Blue Cheese Tarts from Mess Makes Food
- Avocado Fries from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Spinach Cashew Pakoras with Tangy Date Sauce from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garlicky Italian Green Beans and Potatoes from Webicurean
Getting Greens Through Salads
- Pixie Dust Salad with Avocados, Pixie Tangerines and Radishes from Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Broccoli Spinach Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Apple, Spinach and Zucchini Salad from Hip Foodie Mom
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Asparagus-Fennel-Pea Shoot Salad from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing from The Foodie Army Wife
- Creamy Chicken Pesto Salad from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Entreés That Will Leave You Green With Envy
- Eggs and Greens Pizza from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Creamy Green Pizza from The Foodie Patootie
- Shamrock Spinach Crepes from Curious Cuisiniere
- Healthy Green Pasta from Momma’s Meals
- Swiss Chard & Sausage Pasta Bake from Delaware Girl Eats
- Smothered Cabbage with Pork from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Fettuccine with Bacon Alfredo from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Roasted Asparagus Eggs Benedict With Cajun Hollandaise from Having Fun Saving
- Indulgent Pesto Risotto from The Weekend Gourmet
- Twice Baked Turkey Pie with Cabbage from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Slow-Cooker Irish Stout Chicken Stew from FoodieTots
- Chicken and Asparagus Flatbread Pizza from Family Foodie
Desserts and Beverages That Will Make Others Turn Green
- Lemon Kiwi Meringue Pie from Desserts Required
- Mint Cookies and Stout Shake from Melanie Makes
- Verde Sangria from Country Girl in the Village
- Baileys Mint Ice Cream & Chocolate Stout Float from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shamrock Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Green Tea Latte from Manu’s Menu
- Grasshopper Mousse from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Amazing Grass Brownies from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Leprechaun Ice Cream from Cookistry
- White Chocolate Cupcakes with Pistachio Pudding Frosting from Cookin’ Mimi
- Collard Greens, Mushroom, and Cheddar Bread Pudding from The Texan New Yorker
- Coconut Avocado Ice Cream from URBAN BAKES
- Lime Meltaways from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Mint Cake from NinjaBaking.com
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.