I’m celebrating walnuts this week and already posted my first recipe. If you don’t know the 411 on Walnuts, you must check this out. “Eating a handful of walnuts a day is a delicious way to promote a healthy heart. Walnuts offer antioxidants, vitamins, fiber, protein and is the only nut providing a significant amount of the plant based omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid.” And there are over two decades of research supporting the heart health properties of walnuts. Grab some walnuts yo.
Today, I have to share this amazingly simple, delicious, light, vegetarian side dish: a raw zucchini salad! Have you ever tried raw zucchini? I eat zucchini all the time but usually throw it in soups, stir frys or even pasta (for my kids). This dish is so light and delicious and will take you literally under 15 minutes to make. Can’t beat that. I love the thinly shaved zucchini with the ricotta cheese bits and crunchy walnuts. This is seriously so easy.
So, today, I am bringing this dish to the California Walnuts first ever Virtual Dinner Party to celebrate their new Chefs Menus At Home series! California Walnuts has enlisted some critically acclaimed chefs to share seasonal menus with us home cooks and tips for successful entertaining. When I saw this recipe from Sarah Copeland, I knew I had to give it a try. After all, I had never tasted raw zucchini like this. And I love her quote, “Until you’ve tasted zucchini raw, you haven’t experienced its true potential.”
I hope you enjoy!
- 1-2 large, firm zucchini
- Juice of ½ lemon (no more than 2-3 tablespoons); be careful here because you don't want too much juice
- 3 tablespoons best-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Fleur de sel, sel gris or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup sheep’s milk ricotta or ricotta
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, broken in pieces
- Lemon zest for garnish (optional)
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel your zucchini lengthwise into long, thin strips. Toss them in a medium bowl with the lemon juice and olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and dollop the ricotta over the top. Sprinkle with toasted walnuts and finish with a light drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe from Sarah Copeland.
The good people at California Walnuts have one autographed copy of Sarah’s latest cookbook, The Newlywed Cookbook for me to give away to one reader! And don’t misunderstand the title. This cookbook is for anyone who loves delicious recipes! The chapters are broken up like this: Stocked (to help you with your pantry), To Market, Brunch, Little Meals, Supper, Comfort Food, Date Night, Vegetables, Embellishments, Indulgences (you will love this chapter), Gatherings and Escapes! You are sure to find several- if not every single one– recipes here you will want to make.
What I love about the cookbook? Aside from this being the most stunningly beautiful cookbook I’ve seen in a while with gorgeous photography (Photographer: Sara Remington) and fabulous recipes (I seriously want to make everything), I love the stories Sarah has included in here and learning about her and her husband, András, who the book is dedicated to.
And if you are newly married, married or have someone else you want to cook with and spend time together with in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you. “Inside are more than 130 recipes for both classic and contemporary cooking that are perfect for day-to-day and special occasions with family and friends.” With recipes like: Ricotta Silver Dollars with Nectarine Syrup, The Man Sandwich, Baked Risotto with Roasted Vegetables, Cheese Soufflé and Brown Sugar Pudding . . four words: You need this cookbook.
To enter this giveaway: please click on this link and comment below and tell me which walnut recipe (from any chef) looks the most appealing to you! Or simply leave a comment! (giveaway only open to residents within the United States.)
For additional entries, you know the drill:
You can do the following but you must leave a comment in the comments section of this post telling me what you have done, and each one will count as an additional entry.
- Like Hip Foodie Mom on Facebook.
- Follow Hip Foodie Mom on Twitter (@HipFoodieMom1).
- Follow Hip Foodie Mom on Instagram.
- Follow Hip Foodie Mom on Pinterest.
- Like California Walnuts on Facebook.
- Follow California Walnuts on Twitter.
- Follow California Walnuts on Pinterest.
More Giveaway Details:
- One entry per person, PLUS additional qualified bonus entries (mentioned above). Your comment may take a few moments to appear on the page.
- Giveaway only eligible for residents within the United States.
- This giveaway ends on Tuesday, March 5, 2013.
- ONE winner will be chosen at random from all of the comments/entries listed here on this post. Be sure to do the mandatory entry by answering the question and leaving a comment.
- ONE winner will be announced on Wednesday, March 6, 2013. The winner will be notified via the email supplied in the entry. The winner will have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be chosen.