Fried Tofu with Spicy Ginger Sesame Sauce
I love Food & Wine magazine. . not only for the wine suggestions/pairings with food but also the great, delicious recipes! I subscribe to their daily emails with recipes and wanted to share this one; especially since my kitchen is going to be a un-useable disaster zone while we pack and move over the next couple of weeks. And then I will be in temporary housing in Seattle for a week. . so please enjoy this recipe in the meantime. . one of my favorites!
- 2½ tablespoons soy sauce (low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Korean red pepper flakes or 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, very finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- One 14-ounce container of firm tofu
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Steamed white (or brown) rice, for serving
- In a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce with the sugar, red pepper, garlic, sesame oil, ginger and sesame seeds.
- Slice the tofu crosswise into 8 thin slabs. Dry the tofu with paper towels, pressing until no moisture remains.
- In a large skillet, heat ¼ inch of oil until shimmering. Add the tofu and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until browned and crisp, about 8 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Spoon the sauce over the fried tofu and sprinkle with the scallions. Serve with steamed white or brown rice.