Asiago Cheese and Cracked Black Pepper Rice with Ham. Packed with mushrooms, carrots, kale and ham, this dish is so delicious and the perfect way to revamp your holiday leftovers!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post in collaboration with Knorr Selects.
And just like that, it’s mid-December! The holidays are here! Are you one of those people who starts their holiday shopping in October? Or, right after Thanksgiving? I start in early December and I love the fact that I can order a lot of gifts online. For the gifts I know I’m getting, it makes the process so much easier and I don’t have to drive anywhere. We don’t go crazy with the gifts over the holidays. We just buy a few gifts for the girls and make sure they get the top 2 to 3 things from their list for Santa.
However, we do try to spend more time together doing family activities. I want to create lasting memories with my girls. I want to establish family traditions and things that they will want to do with their kids. For the past two years, we’ve gone to watch A Christmas Carol and this year, we’re having holiday tea at a local hotel, in their restaurant. It will be a traditional English-style afternoon tea, complete with finger sandwiches, delicious desserts like madeleine cookies, macaroons, petit fours and more! I can’t wait! I might be more excited than my kids. The hotel we are going to also has an outdoor ice skating rink so it will definitely be a fun time for us all!
This year, we are spending Christmas in Texas with everyone. My parents, my brother’s family, my sister’s family and my family. My parents will have a packed house but we are so excited! We usually make a Christmas ham and we also have steak (maybe this is a Texas thing?). Either way, the dining table will be full and our schedule will be jam packed.
My mom always calls me a week or so in advance so we can plan out the menu for each day. Yes, I am my mother’s daughter. We are not big on wasting food so we’re always looking for ways to use our holiday leftovers.
A Christmas ham is a holiday tradition for us but we always seem to have a lot leftover. In the past, we’ve made ham sandwiches and other things the next day. This year, I’m going to take our holiday leftovers to a new level with this Knorr Asiago Cheese and Cracked Black Pepper Rice! It’s so delicious and so easy to make! We paired it with some roasted parsnips and roasted sweet potatoes on the side. This recipe would also work in a pita (easy and the kids will love it!) or as a casserole! The possibilities are endless!
For this recipe, I used mushrooms, carrots, kale and, one of my favorites, Knorr® Selects Asiago Cheese and Cracked Black Pepper Rice!
Dinner Made Easy with NEW Knorr Selects!
I’ve partnered with Knorr for the past 6 months and have had a blast creating recipes with their rice packets. Quick and easy to prepare on the stovetop, Knorr Selects are ready in about 10 to 15 minutes! I really appreciate the flexibility as they are delicious on their own as a flavorful side dish or as part of a one-pot meal or casserole.
Knorr® Selects™ sides are made without any artificial flavors or preservatives, and are gluten free! The Asiago Cheese & Cracked Black Pepper expertly blends rice with asiago cheese and cracked black pepper into a super delicious and savory rice dish.
I hope you give this recipe a try! Your family will love this! Happy holidays!
Where You Can Find Knorr Selects
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch kale, chopped (about 3 to 4 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package Knorr Selects Asiago Cheese and Cracked Black Pepper Rice
- 2 cups Knorr Homestyle Chicken Stock or water
- 2 cups cooked leftover ham, diced or cubed
- fresh parsley, diced fine
- Using a large sauté pan over medium high heat, heat the olive oil and add the onions and sauté for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms, carrots and garlic and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add the kale and sauté for a few more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the same pan, pour in the Knorr Selects Asiago Cheese and Cracked Black Pepper Rice, the chicken stock and stir together. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium and boil, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, while stirring frequently until your rice is tender and the sauce is creamy. You can also skip the stock and follow the preparation instructions on the back of the packet, which call for water and milk.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add in the diced ham and mix together with the rice.
- Turn off the heat. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with some fresh parsley, serve and enjoy!