Fried Red Tomatoes with Sour Cream and Prosciutto. Delicious and filling, this is like a healthier version of a loaded baked potato!
This recipe is super simple and easy! The first time I made this, I cut the tomatoes way too thick. They cook better if sliced thinner but hey, the fuller slice is nice too. . just have to cook it longer.
Hope you enjoy!
- 3 firm ripe tomatoes
- ½ cup white flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ⅔ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream, for garnish
- 3 slices prosciutto, fried till crisp, for garnish (or can use good ole BACON)
- A few sprigs of fresh chives, finely chopped, for garnish
- Cut tomatoes into ½-inch slices. Sprinkle with coarse salt and cracked black pepper. Place flour, eggs, and crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Heat the oil with a dollop of butter, in a medium skillet on medium heat. Dip the tomato slices in the flour, then the eggs, and then crumbs.
- In batches, fry half the coated slices at a time, for about 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Coat the remaining tomatoes in the flour, egg and bread crumb mixture, and cook.
- Remove the tomatoes to a warm serving tray. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, crumbled crisp prosciutto, and a sprinkle of fresh chopped chives.