Spiral Cut Double Glazed Brown Sugar Ham with Sweet Potato Casserole!! The perfect holiday dinner! A Spiral Cut Double Glazed Brown Sugar Ham from ALDI and my homemade Sweet Potato Casserole! Add some savory side dishes and you’ve got the best holiday dinner!
I can’t believe this year is coming to an end. With each year ending, I try to take the time to reflect on the year. . what happened, who I spent time with, how my daughters grew and any accomplishments they had and special memories we shared. Every Christmas, my family and I all usually get together at my parents’ house in Dallas. My brother’s family lives in California and my sister’s family is in Minnesota so everyone being under the same roof for any period of time is a big deal.
I love going back and seeing my old friends, spending time with my brother and sister and my parents and cooking up a storm. My family is filled with foodies. We love to eat and we know how to plan, prepare and cook a great meal.
We’re big meat eaters so every year there’s a ham on the table. The ham is the first thing the kids want to eat and it’s always the centerpiece of our holiday table. This year, we are picking up a Spiral Cut Double Glazed Brown Sugar Ham from ALDI. It’s pre-cooked and pre-sliced and the brown sugar packet comes with the ham, so it couldn’t be any easier, or delicious!
And when you’re making lots of side dishes and fighting for oven space, easy and delicious works!
I mean, just look at this ham. Glorious.
We will always have a good variety of sweet and savory sides to go with our ham (and we usually have steaks or a beef rib roast too! Remember I said we know how to eat?). Mashed potatoes or baked potatoes, green beans, classic glazed carrots, a salad, sautéed spinach. . . and this year, I’m making this sweet potato casserole.
I love that this can easily serve as a dessert as well! It’s sweet but loaded with amazing flavor and topped with glazed pecans. This sweet potato casserole is an amazing side dish and accompanies the ham and savory side dishes brilliantly.
Christmas is just a couple of weeks away. Are you ready? Do you have your family’s Christmas dinner menu all planned out? Be sure to schedule a trip to ALDI soon for all of your holiday needs. You will find everything you need to make this holiday a special one. For more holiday inspiration, check them out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and visit www.aldi.us/holidays!
Spiral Cut Double Glazed Brown Sugar Ham with Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole:
- 4 medium-large sweet potatoes about 3 pounds
- 6 tablespoons Baker’s Corner brown sugar
- ¼ cup Nature’s Nectar orange juice
- ¼ cup Friendly Farms heavy cream or whole milk
- 3 ½ tablespoons Countryside Creamery unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon Stonemill vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Stonemill salt
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 3 tablespoons Countryside Creamery unsalted butter softened slightly
- ½ cup Baker’s Corner dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup Southern Grove chopped pecans
To make the casserole:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Cover the sweet potatoes with foil and bake until very tender, for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Remove and let cool. Reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in half, scoop out the flesh and mash until smooth.
- You should have about 4 cups of potatoes. Using a hand mixer or your stand mixer, beat the sweet potatoes with the brown sugar, orange juice, heavy cream, butter, vanilla and salt. Place everything into a casserole dish.
To make the topping:
- Combine the butter, brown sugar and pecans. Sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture. Bake for about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Disclosure: This is a paid, sponsored post in partnership with ALDI. All opinions expressed here are 100% my own.