I have been a long time admirer and fan of the vegan food blog, One Happy Table. Love the name and everything that it stands for. I got to know Lauren and her lovely blog over the summer when she was participating in a daily summer blogging group and posting awesome VEGAN recipes everyday in the summer! I seriously found myself going to her blog each day to see what she would come up with next and loved everything!
Most of you who read my blog know that we have been cutting down on the meat a lot and I’ve been trying to focus more (when I can, and when my husband doesn’t go into a meatless craze) on vegetarian dishes. I’m not saying we’re vegetarians or are going all-veggie 100% but I have to say, that I am really loving mushrooms, tofu, zucchini and I find myself roasting broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, carrots and kale at least once or twice a week now for my daughters.
Well, I am super excited to share this awesome, delicious, healthy post and recipe with you from One Happy Table. Please get to know Lauren and her vegan food blog and I hope you find some inspiration and deliciousness from her wonderful, vegan recipes!
(Since I am *officially* away for the holidays and visiting my parents in Texas (and am not in my own kitchen), I will be hosting another guest post this week.)
I hope you enjoy!
Vegan Tofu Kale Lasagna
Vegan Tofu Kale Lasagna! Guest Post from One Happy Table!
- one box of lasagna noodles prepared per package instructions
- one jar of your favorite tomato sauce for a vegan option, just make sure the sauce doesn't have any cheese in it
- about 2 cups of kale
- two cartons of medium-firm tofu
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- optional 1/2 cup of Daiya vegan cheese or other non-dairy cheese alternative
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Next, dry your tofu. Open the cartons and pour out the water. Place the blocks of tofu onto a large pan or plate lined with paper towels. Once the towels are saturated, replace them with others until the tofu is no longer fully saturating the towels.
- While you're completing this process, prepare your lasagna noodles.
- Rinse your kale, being sure to open all the leaves as some tend to fold themselves over. Pat it dry with a towel. Place the kale on a chopping board and remove and discard the leafless stems. With a large knife, coarsely chop the kale and set aside.
- Return to your blocks of drained tofu and using your hands, crumble them coarsely into a large bowl so that they resemble the consistency of ricotta cheese. Drain the crumbled tofu once more if it looks like it needs it. Use a colander for this. Next, toss the crumbled tofu with the garlic powder and salt and mix well.
- Once your noodles, tofu and kale are ready, begin the layering process in your 9 x 13-inch pan or similar dish. If you have older kids, they may want to join in on the fun! Layer in this order: noodles, sauce, tofu, kale, noodles, sauce, tofu, kale, etc., until the pan is filled, leaving about 1/4 cup of the kale for garnishing the top layer.
- Sprinkle the top layer with some vegan cheese (optional) and the remainder of the kale. Place into your preheated oven, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the kale on the top layer is crispy. One of the great things about a vegan lasagna is that you don't have to worry about ingredients being cooked through for safety reasons!
- Serve this dish right out of the oven and watch your kiddos eat kale and tofu before your eyes, perhaps without even knowing it! : )