Yesterday, here in Seattle, we had our first real rainy day since the end of our glorious summer . . I had comfort food on the brain and so a bowl of soup was in order. I thumbed through my Food and Wine magazine and came across this one: 7- minute soup. Word. Nothing like near-instant satisfaction.
Grace Parisi’s original recipe calls for piquillo peppers. . which I did not have. . so I used roasted red bell peppers which worked out very nicely. Whip this one out if you are looking to try a new soup recipe on a cold or rainy day. It’s perfection in a bowl.
7 Minute Soup! Creamy Red Bell Pepper & Chickpea Soup
- 1 cup drained roasted red bell pepper 1/4 cup cut into thin strips
- 3/4 cup hummus
- 2 cups chicken or beef stock
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Olive oil for serving
- Hot sauce for serving (optional)
- In a blender or a food processor, combine the red bell peppers with the hummus and chicken stock and puree until smooth. Transfer the soup to a medium saucepan. Add the rice and chicken, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the parsley, more sliced roasted red bell peppers, olive oil and hot sauce.
Recipe adapted from Food and Wine.