Best Grilled Beer Brats + A Video! The most delicious and flavorful way to cook your brats! I hope you try this!
Tomorrow is July 4th and you probably have plans to fire up the grill. We love grilling a variety of things: burgers, hot dogs, lots and lots of vegetables and brats!
Upon moving to Wisconsin, my husband took it upon himself to learn how to make a proper bratwurst. . and we are so glad that he did.
This recipe only requires 3 ingredients + the actual brats themselves .. onions, butter and beer! The key is to boil the brats on the grill first and then remove them from the mixture and grill them.
The brats are juicy and so full of flavor! We hope you try this recipe! These are SO good you’re always going to want to make your brats this way! And if you have any leftovers, try my Spicy Cheesy Bratwurst Dip with Pickles!
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- ½ stick butter, sliced into chunks
- 5 to 6 bratwursts
- 3 bottles of amber ale
- bratwurst bun, toasted
- red cabbage slaw
- grilled onions
- 2 to 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Using a big tin pan (use something that is safe for the grill), combine the onions and butter and place the bratwursts in the pan. Pour the beer over the brats and make sure the brats are submerged.
- Using your outdoor grill, place the pan on the grill and bring to a boil. Let cook for 20-25 minutes and then remove from the pan and grill each bratwurst for at least 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Place into a bun and top with mustard, sauerkraut, the red cabbage slaw and some grilled onions if desired. Enjoy!
- Combine everything together in a medium sized bowl. Taste and adjust any ingredients as needed.
Summer side dishes to go with your brats!
- Green Olive and Egg Potato Salad – Vanilla and Bean
- Easy Summer Coleslaw – Once Upon a Food Blog
- Creamy Cucumber Salad – Well Plated