I couldn’t let August go by without sharing one more fabulous recipe using my favorite summer vegetables. Zucchini and yellow summer squash. This crostini recipe is simple, quick and delicious. Great for a Labor Day party tray. Or simple appetizers before a meal at home.
It doesn’t get any easier than this.
And lately I’ve been obsessed with ricotta on crostini so we have the creamy factor covered. And I just love biting into the delicious, very lightly sautéed, zucchini and yellow summer squash. . and the tanginess and slight sweetness from the balsamic glaze! Altogether, this is pretty damn tasty. So, if you have some zucchini and summer squash on hand, you need to try this!
Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best!
I hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Using small saucepan over medium heat, bring the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook until thickened, for about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. The glaze should reduce to 1/2 cup. Set aside to cool before using.
Zucchini and Summer Squash Crostini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil; split
- 1 french baguette sliced
- 1 garlic clove peeled and left whole
- 1 medium sized zucchini sliced thin with a mandoline slicer
- 1 small to medium sized yellow summer squash sliced thin with a mandoline slicer
- salt and pepper
- fresh ricotta cheese
- balsamic glaze see recipe card above
- Using a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add the baguette slices and cook until well toasted; for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan, rub one side of all the baguette slices with the garlic and set aside on a platter.
- Using the same nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini and summer squash slices and lightly sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes only, flipping them over halfway through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
- To assemble: spread the ricotta cheese on each baguette and top with the zucchini and summer squash slices, alternating, if you desire. Drizzle on some balsamic glaze and serve immediately.
There’s something fabulous about foods served to you on a tray. I immediately think of finger foods. Delicious, pop-them-in-your-mouth-and-savor-each-bite kind of finger foods.
And today’s Sunday Supper is just that. We’re talking all tantalizing party tray foods! From savory bites to soup shooters to desserts, we’ve got you covered. So, take a look at all the recipes below and enjoy! Hoping you find some Labor Day menu inspiration! And a big thank you to Connie from The Foodie Army Wife for hosting today!
- Antipasto Skewers by Simply Gourmet
- Bite-Sized Meatballs by MealDiva
- BLT Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- BLT Canapes by Peaceful Cooking
- BLT Crostini with Basil Mayonnaise by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Blueberry Jam and Goat Cheese Crostini by Casa de Crews
- Brie and Tomato Bruschetta by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cajun Deviled Eggs by Peanut Better and Peppers
- Charcuterie Board by Family Foodie
- Cheese-Filled Apple Rounds by eatingininstead
- Coquilles St. Jacques by Nosh My Way
- Crudite Platter with Copycat Hidden Valley Ranch Dip by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crunchy Tuna Salad Boats by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Cucumber Sandwiches by Momma’s Meals
- Feta Zucchini Bites by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Thai Soup Shooters by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Figs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Heirloom Caprese Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Jalapeño Mac ‘n Cheese Bites by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- The Modern Relish Tray by An Appealing Plan
- Mostarda di Frutta by Rhubarb and Honey
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Peppers by Magnolia Days
- Ploughman’s Platter for a Party by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Puff Pastry Cheese Sticks by Basic N Delicious
- Rye Party Puffs by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Southwestern Turkey Sliders by The Texan New Yorker
- Spinach and Mushroom Pizza Bites by The Dinner-Mom
- Tomato Basil Soup Shooters by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Zucchini and Summer Squash Crostini by Hip Foodie Mom
- Alice in Wonderland Sugar Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Baked Lemon Glazed Mini Donuts by Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Chocolate Oreo Pocky Cupcakes, Cake, and Morello Cherry Buttercream by NinjaBaking
- French Silk Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- German Chocolate Brownie Bites by Wallflour Girl
- Mini Banana Nutella Cheesecake Parfaits (#glutenfree option) by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Raspberry Fools by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Shortcake Dessert Shooters by The Redhead Baker
- Vegan Caramel Truffles by What Smells So Good?
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter & Banana Bites by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Witchy Chocolate Mousse with Culinary Fairy Dust by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.