So Simple Pizza Puffs for 5 Ingredients Or Less #SundaySupper

So, I have always been one to multi-task, keep busy, work on at least 20 projects at once and I constantly have ideas and lists running through my head. Sometimes, I can’t sit still. If I’m not doing something, I feel like I’m wasting time. I’ve said it before but I get this trait from my dad. He is 71 years old and is showing no signs of slowing down. When we thought he might be considering retiring . .  he was actually making a deal to open up another restaurant. Which he did. He’s a little crazy but what hard working first generation Korean father isn’t?

My dad is a doer. He’s a risk taker and not a talker. Because he just does it. Sometimes he doesn’t listen to us. .  and just acts. Goes with his gut. . . But sometimes, even the crazy ones need to slow down. .  the risk takers, the doers.  Sometimes, you just have to take a seat, observe, take inventory and slow your roll. .

With the school year now in full swing for my daughter and having everyone on a schedule, juggling everything, making sure the homework gets done (which only takes like 3 minutes; she’s in kindergarten), house work, laundry, getting dinner on the table and – ugh dishes, kill me now- , making sure the kids are bathed, with their teeth brushed and in bed by a decent hour, I’ve definitely been slowing down a little, re-prioritizing, and just trying to get smarter with how I do things during the week.

Dinner is one of those things.

I said it last month, and I’ll say it again. I’m now looking for quick meals to cook throughout the week. Recipes that freeze well and can be re-heated. Slow cooker/crock pot recipes that do all the work for you (some of these coming soon!). Recipes that don’t require me to hit up 3 different grocery stores looking for some obscure ingredient that only Whole Foods carries. Who has the time Monday through Friday?

Dishes Using 5 Ingredients or Less

This week’s theme for #SundaySupper is coming at just the perfect time. .  5 Ingredients or Less? Gotta love that. Whip this one out when you need a quick snack for yourself or for the kids after school or for appetizers. The pepperoni can easily be removed and replaced with mushrooms if you want to go vegetarian.  These pizza puffs are supporting by puff pastry habit and I just can’t seem to stop eating these! These are flaky, cheesy, oooey, gooey deliciousness. Truth be told, I was trying to make these into pretty half moon-ish shaped puffs (like these) but I got too greedy with the mozzarella, basil and the rest of the filling and made them too big! I couldn’t close them! So, I just pulled two ends together and stuck in a toothpick. Word.

I hope you enjoy!

So Simple Pizza Puffs

With the warm, flaky puff pastry, these pizza puffs are awesome! You can also use an egg wash to brush on these before going into the oven for added color. Also, the pepperoni can easily be removed and replaced with mushrooms if you want to go vegetarian.
Author:
Recipe type: Appetizer
Serves: 4

Ingredients
  • 1 sheet puff pastry; thawed
  • 1 can tomato sauce (can use the rest for dipping)
  • pepperoni
  • fresh mozzarella; sliced
  • fresh basil (10-12 leaves)
  • ALSO NEEDED:
  • Toothpicks

Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Using a cookie cutter, glass jar or small bowl, press down into the thawed pastry dough so you cut round circles from the puff pastry. (You can also just cut the puff pastry dough into 4 squares.) Cut the puff pastry on wax paper or foil so it’s easier to pick up.
  3. To assemble: spread some tomato sauce on the pastry dough, lay down the pepperonis (if using), then the mozzarella and top that with a few leaves of basil.
  4. Bring together each end and pin with a toothpick (to ensure the puff stays closed while baking).
  5. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden. Sprinkle on more basil if desired and serve.

Sunday Supper.

This week, our amazing #SundaySupper group is contributing recipes featuring Dishes using 5 Ingredients or Less! For those days when you simply don’t have the time for a complex recipe or maybe you’re on a budget or maybe you really only have five ingredients left!

Please join us on Sunday, September 30th, 2012 as we share our delicious, mouth-watering recipes! Here is the line-up and what everyone is bringing to our #SundaySupper table. Be sure to stay after dinner at 7pm EST as we share our recipes during our #SundaySupper live chat!

Breakfast, Starters, Butters and Jams:

Main Dishes:

Desserts:

Beverages:

Please be sure to join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (EST) for our weekly #SundaySupper  live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite 5 ingredient recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat!  We’d also love to feature your 5 ingredient recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!

111 Responses to "So Simple Pizza Puffs for 5 Ingredients Or Less #SundaySupper"

1. Laura Hunter

September 30, 2012 at 9:01 am

I am the same way when it comes to multi-tasking and sometimes I take on too much so simple meals are a must for me as well. These look so good.

September 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm

That’s what I’m learning too! Thank you so much, Laura!

2. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen

September 30, 2012 at 10:52 am

Slowing down is as much a part of life as doing. No wonder you can´t stop eating these, they are wonderful! Puff pastry with cheese and pepperoni, a favorite combination. Have a great sunday Alice!

September 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Thank you, Paula! You too! Yea #SundaySupper!

3. Pingback: #SundaySupper Lumachine with Fresh Parmesan and Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce | Mama's Blissful Bites

4. Pingback: 5 Ingredients or less for #SundaySupper « Momma's Meals

5. Pingback: Pa Jun or Korean Scallion Pancakes #SundaySupper

6. Pingback: Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo

7. Stephanie {TheCookieADayChallenge}

September 30, 2012 at 1:08 pm

These would be a perfect after school snack! My boys would love them!!

September 30, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Thank you so much, Stephanie! Love your blog! :)

8. Pingback: Spaghetti with Kale & Sausage #SundaySupper | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts

9. Pingback: Roasted Shrimp With Chili-Lime Sauce for #SundaySupper

10. Pingback: I am really looking forward to this week's #SundaySupper

11. Pingback: Shrimp-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes | Juanita's Cocina

12. Pingback: Beef Tenderloin with Stilton Pecan Butter for Dishes in 5 Ingredients or less #SundaySupper | | Noshing With The NolandsNoshing With The Nolands

13. baker street

September 30, 2012 at 1:44 pm

i’m always on the lookout for simple recipes because i have a very demanding day job. these pizza puffs look amazing and would make for just the perfect midweek dinner.

September 30, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Thank you so much! Yes, I ate these for my dinner the day I made them. . they heat up nicely in a toaster oven too! Hope you enjoy!

14. Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom)

September 30, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I’m the same way…I have a million things going on and a running list of things to-do and things I want to-do. I’ve just started learning to say “no” to a couple of things…only to replace it with something else! :-) I wouldn’t have it any other way. It drives my husband nuts, but I think it would be worse if I was sitting on my arse twiddling my thumbs….not that that would happen with 2 toddlers!

Does your dad live in Seattle also? Did he open another Korean restaurant? How inspiring…a new restaurant at 71! I hope to have that kind of energy in a few decades!

September 30, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Hi Amy!
      My dad lives in Dallas, TX. . that’s where I grew up. . he’s been in the restaurant business ever since we were little kids. . he’s done Korean and he was one of the first sushi restaurants in Dallas. At one point, he had 1 korean and 2 sushi restaurants . . and the one he opened last year is an Asian Fusion restaurant in downtown Dallas. We love him so much. . but he’s crazy! :)

15. Pingback: Quick Black Bean Burritos for #SundaySupper « Diabetic Foodie

16. Tara Noland

September 30, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Those are a great idea. I am always looking for something new for our Halloween party that the kids would like and this fits the bill perfect, thanks for sharing.

September 30, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Of course! Thank you so much, Tara! I hope these work out well for you!

17. Pingback: Roasted Moroccan Rack of Lamb {#SundaySupper} | marocmama.com

18. Pingback: Blacked Cajun Chicken with Wild Rice & Asparagus

19. Soni

September 30, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Wow, this is the perfect finger food for any occasion!!Love the idea of using puff pastry like this :)

October 1, 2012 at 6:22 am

Thank you, Soni!

20. Pingback: Herbed Butter Pork Chops #SundaySupper | Brie's Bites

21. Veronica Gantley

September 30, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I think we all at one time or another in our lives take on to much. SO I know what you mean. This is a perfect appetizer, it is so easy to make!

October 1, 2012 at 6:23 am

Thank you, Veronica! :)

22. Bea

September 30, 2012 at 5:34 pm

These look so good, and fun :)

October 1, 2012 at 6:23 am

Thank you so much, Bea!

23. Pingback: Stuffed Shells for #SundaySupper | Cravings of a Lunatic

24. Lane @ Supper for a Steal

September 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm

These look like such a fun snack. Great for munching on during game time or even dinner!

October 1, 2012 at 6:24 am

Thank you, Lane! Yes, totally perfect for snacks, apps or a meal!

25. Karen Hartzell (@InTheKitchenKP)

September 30, 2012 at 6:00 pm

These look so good! Definitely going on my favorite party food list!

October 1, 2012 at 6:27 am

oh thank you, Karen! I hope you try them!

26. Hezzi-D

September 30, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Mmm…these look delicious. I bet the kids would love them!

October 1, 2012 at 6:27 am

Thank you so much!

27. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious

September 30, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Love these! I definitely need to make this as an appetizer for my next dinner party!

October 1, 2012 at 6:26 am

Thank you, Chung-Ah! I hope you try them. . I love puff pastry so much! I love the Aussie Bakery brand puff pastry (you should find it at most grocery stores). . it’s better than P. Farm.

28. Pingback: Grilled Polenta Cakes for #SundaySupper - Lovely Pantry | Lovely Pantry

29. Pingback: Crock Pot Chicken Tacos for #SundaySupper « The Hand That Rocks The Ladle

30. Melanie from FastFood2FreshFood

September 30, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I really need to utilize puff pastry more, and this seems like a good way to start. delicious looking!

31. Sarah

September 30, 2012 at 9:43 pm

These would be perfect for a cocktail party!

October 1, 2012 at 6:30 am

Yes, great idea!

32. Amanda

September 30, 2012 at 9:50 pm

What a great idea for lunchboxes as well. Portable pizza is always a good idea!

October 1, 2012 at 6:31 am

Absolutely. And kids usually don’t mind cold-ish pizza. what a great idea!

33. Kim Bee

September 30, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I love that your dad is such a spitfire. I have trouble slowing my own roll so I can totally relate.

These are really incredible. I cannot wait to try these out. We eat pizza way too much here so we’re always looking for ways to change it up a bit.

October 1, 2012 at 6:33 am

Haha, thank you Kim! My dad definitely keeps our family on our toes! Thank you so much for the compliment!
      We also eat pizza over here at least once a week. . my husband LOVES pizza. He would eat it everyday if I would let him!

34. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts

October 1, 2012 at 12:23 am

There are perfect! I can’t sit still either, my husband always gives me a hard time that I don’t know how to relax!

October 1, 2012 at 6:34 am

I know, right?! I totally drive my husband crazy sometimes. . that’s why I’m trying (my best) to slow down a little and sit back . . but it’s so hard!

35. sunithi

October 1, 2012 at 1:05 am

These are so yummy ! My kids would love these ! very hip indeed ;) Thanks for sharing :)

October 1, 2012 at 6:35 am

Haha, thank you so much, Sunithi! :) I hope you do make these for your kids! Enjoy!

36. Pingback: #SundaySupper Feta & Broccoli Frittata errrr Skillet ;-) | Kwistin's Favorites

37. Pingback: Homemade Instant Oatmeal #SundaySupper - Home Cooking Memories

38. Faye Leong

October 1, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Can send some to me now? This look wonderful, Alice. I love pastry and am sure I wont miss this recipe. No matter how busy we are, we will still enjoy the moment in the kitchen. Don’t you agree you will forgot all your stress when you’re in the kitchen? Have fun!

October 4, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Hi Faye!
      Yes, cooking is so therapeutic for me. . I love it! Now, if I could just get someone to do my dishes for me! :) And thank you for the lovely comment! :)

39. Megan

October 1, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I love these! Simple & delicious. I know they would be a great crowd pleaser!

October 4, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Thank you, Megan!

40. diabeticFoodie

October 1, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I know what you mean about slowing down. I’m about to take 2-1/2 months off from work to focus on other things I’ve been ignoring (like a house with mold in the exterior walls). These puffs look amazing and so easy. Add a salad and you have the perfect lunch!

October 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Hi there! We can all relate to slowing down huh? Wow, sounds like a big project. . I hope everything goes smoothly. You definitely don’t want to ignore mold! That can be dangerous stuff!

Thank you for the comment! :)

41. Crazy Kwistin

October 1, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I wish I had these right now :) yummy!!

October 4, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Thanks Kristin! I just sent you some via cyberspace! :) enjoy!

42. Pingback: 5 Ingredients or less for #SundaySupper |

43. Susan

October 2, 2012 at 4:08 pm

If you put something in puff pastry, I pretty much will eat it. I love this idea and great for a party too!

October 4, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Susan, I am the same way. . LOVE puff pastry and can’t get enough of it! Thank you!

44. Pingback: Simple Pizza Puffs | Delicious Goodies Galore

45. Jennie @themessybakerblog

October 4, 2012 at 12:37 am

These puffs look amazing! I’m putting these on my football menu. Yum!

October 4, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Thank you, Jennie! These are awesome and would be perfect to munch on while watching football! Hope everyone likes them!

46. Pingback: Nutella Ice Cream for #SundaySupper

47. Pingback: 5 Ingredient Recipes – Creamy Ham Linguine for #SundaySupper » The Daily Dish Recipes

48. Pingback: Sunday Supper Recipes

49. Pingback: Dorie’s Chicken in a Pot for #SundaySupper’s First BirthdayHip Foodie Mom | Hip Foodie Mom

50. Pingback: GlutenFree Chicken Brushetta for #SundaySupper | The Meltaways

51. Pingback: Spicy Pulled Pork Sandwiches

52. Pingback: Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo Recipe for #SundaySupper

53. Pingback: Apple Pull Apart Bread with Caramel Drizzle & Happy Birthday #SundaySupper | Cravings of a Lunatic

54. Pingback: Feijoada Portuguese Bean Stew #SundaySupper

55. Pingback: Cherry Tart for a Special Birthday #SundaySupper | Happy Baking Days

56. Pingback: Wine Pairings for #SundaySupper Birthday Celebration - ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

57. Pingback: Easy Italian Wedding Soup #SundaySupper | Webicurean

58. Pingback: Polish Hunter's Stew {Bigos} for #SundaySupper | MarocMama

59. Pingback: Tomato Florentine Soup and A Special #SundaySupper Birthday! | Mama.Mommy.Mom.

60. Pingback: Homemade Harissa Paste for #Sundaysupper | Masala Herb

61. Pingback: Honey Butter Dinner Rolls #SundaySupper | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts

62. Pingback: Chicken Burger/CurrySlaw #SundaySupper - Cindy's Recipes and Writings

63. Pingback: Skillet Corn and Edamame with Spinach and Bacon | Lovely Pantry

64. Pingback: Pulled Pickled Pork ~ #SundaySupper Turns One! | Juanita's Cocina

65. Pingback: Hand Pies #SundaySupper » Curious Cuisiniere

66. Pingback: Anniversary Gathering for #SundaySupper Featuring: Cheesecake with Fresh Strawberries | An Appealing Plan

67. Pingback: Nutella Shortbread Bars for #SundaySupper | kelly bakes

68. Pingback: Happy Birthday #SundaySupper Pork Ragu and mini mac and cheese cups | Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends

69. Pingback: Pepperoni and Mozzarella Pull Apart by Noshing With The Nolands inspired by In the Kitchen with KP #SundaySupper | Noshing With The Nolands

70. Pingback: #SundaySupper Coconut Cranberry Honey Nut Cookies | Mama's Blissful Bites

71. Pingback: Asian Meatballs for #SundaySupper’s First Birthday! | gotta get baked

72. Pingback: CHOCOLATE CHIP CUT-OUT COOKIES Celebrating a One Year Anniversary of #SundaySupper | Basic N Delicious

73. Pingback: Shrimp Twice Baked Potatoes | Cheesy, Shrimp Stuffed in a Potato Skin | The Daily Dish Recipes

74. http://tinyurl.com/nocchayes28795

January 29, 2013 at 12:24 am

Seems like you truly understand quite a bit about this topic and it exhibits as a result
    of this excellent blog post, labeled “So Simple
    Pizza Puffs for 5 Ingredients Or Less #SundaySupperHip Foodie Mom | Hip Foodie Mom”.
    Thanks ,Corina

75. Pingback: Herbed Butter Pork Chops #SundaySupper

76. Pingback: Carrot Gratin of the Gods

77. Pingback: GlutenFree Chicken Brushetta for #SundaySupper | Blueberries and Blessings

78. Dedra

April 7, 2013 at 8:51 am

It’s an remarkable article in support of all the web viewers; they will obtain advantage from it I am sure.

79. Pingback: Sweet N Spicy Roasted Nuts With Cumin & Cinnamon For A Birthday #SundaySupper - SUE'S NUTRITION BUZZ

80. Pingback: Budget Friendly Breakfast – Freezable Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwiches #SundaySupper : In The Kitchen With KP

81. http://chiropractor-orlando.com

June 19, 2013 at 1:58 am

Hello there, I do believe your website could possibly be having internet browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your site in Safari, it looks fine however, if opening in Internet Explorer, it
    has some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to
    provide you with a quick heads up! Besides that, wonderful blog!

82. Pingback: Mexican Hot Cocoa Sandwich Cookies | Chocolate Moosey

83. Pingback: Fresh Mint Ice Cream with Mint M&M's - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

84. Pingback: Homemade Caramel Sauce | Chocolate Moosey

85. Pingback: Lasagna Soup - Happy Birthday #SundaySupper - The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen | The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

86. Pingback: 5 Ingredients or Less Preview for #SundaySupper | Hip Foodie Mom