So Simple Pizza Puffs for 5 Ingredients Or Less #SundaySupper
So, I have always been one to multi-task, keep busy, work on at least 20 projects at once and I constantly have ideas and lists running through my head. Sometimes, I can’t sit still. If I’m not doing something, I feel like I’m wasting time. I’ve said it before but I get this trait from my dad. He is 71 years old and is showing no signs of slowing down. When we thought he might be considering retiring . . he was actually making a deal to open up another restaurant. Which he did. He’s a little crazy but what hard working first generation Korean father isn’t?
My dad is a doer. He’s a risk taker and not a talker. Because he just does it. Sometimes he doesn’t listen to us. . and just acts. Goes with his gut. . . But sometimes, even the crazy ones need to slow down. . the risk takers, the doers. Sometimes, you just have to take a seat, observe, take inventory and slow your roll. .
With the school year now in full swing for my daughter and having everyone on a schedule, juggling everything, making sure the homework gets done (which only takes like 3 minutes; she’s in kindergarten), house work, laundry, getting dinner on the table and – ugh dishes, kill me now- , making sure the kids are bathed, with their teeth brushed and in bed by a decent hour, I’ve definitely been slowing down a little, re-prioritizing, and just trying to get smarter with how I do things during the week.
Dinner is one of those things.
I said it last month, and I’ll say it again. I’m now looking for quick meals to cook throughout the week. Recipes that freeze well and can be re-heated. Slow cooker/crock pot recipes that do all the work for you (some of these coming soon!). Recipes that don’t require me to hit up 3 different grocery stores looking for some obscure ingredient that only Whole Foods carries. Who has the time Monday through Friday?
Dishes Using 5 Ingredients or Less
This week’s theme for #SundaySupper is coming at just the perfect time. . 5 Ingredients or Less? Gotta love that. Whip this one out when you need a quick snack for yourself or for the kids after school or for appetizers. The pepperoni can easily be removed and replaced with mushrooms if you want to go vegetarian. These pizza puffs are supporting by puff pastry habit and I just can’t seem to stop eating these! These are flaky, cheesy, oooey, gooey deliciousness. Truth be told, I was trying to make these into pretty half moon-ish shaped puffs (like these) but I got too greedy with the mozzarella, basil and the rest of the filling and made them too big! I couldn’t close them! So, I just pulled two ends together and stuck in a toothpick. Word.
I hope you enjoy!
- 1 sheet puff pastry; thawed
- 1 can tomato sauce (can use the rest for dipping)
- fresh mozzarella; sliced
- fresh basil (10-12 leaves)
- ALSO NEEDED:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a cookie cutter, glass jar or small bowl, press down into the thawed pastry dough so you cut round circles from the puff pastry. (You can also just cut the puff pastry dough into 4 squares.) Cut the puff pastry on wax paper or foil so it’s easier to pick up.
- To assemble: spread some tomato sauce on the pastry dough, lay down the pepperonis (if using), then the mozzarella and top that with a few leaves of basil.
- Bring together each end and pin with a toothpick (to ensure the puff stays closed while baking).
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden. Sprinkle on more basil if desired and serve.
This week, our amazing #SundaySupper group is contributing recipes featuring Dishes using 5 Ingredients or Less! For those days when you simply don’t have the time for a complex recipe or maybe you’re on a budget or maybe you really only have five ingredients left!
Please join us on Sunday, September 30th, 2012 as we share our delicious, mouth-watering recipes! Here is the line-up and what everyone is bringing to our #SundaySupper table. Be sure to stay after dinner at 7pm EST as we share our recipes during our #SundaySupper live chat!
Breakfast, Starters, Butters and Jams:
- Pa Jun or Korean Scallion Pancakes – Kimchi Mom
- Homemade Instant Oatmeal – Home Cooking Memories
- GlutenFree Apricot Bacon Onion and Cheese Spread or Dip – Cooking Underwriter
- Caprese Bites – My Catholic Kitchen
- So Simple Pizza Puffs – Hip Foodie Mom
- Toast Topper #11: Allspice Peach Butter – What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Balsamic Jam – The Messy Baker Blog
- Broccoli and Feta Frittata – Kwistin’s Favorites
- Fresh Basil and Tomato Pasta – I Run For Wine
- Gulasch – Galactosemia in PDX
- Spaghetti with Kale and Sausage – Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Appley Kielbasa – The Meltaways
- Shrimp Stuffed Potatoes – Juanita’s Cocina
- Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches – Supper for a Steal
- Sun Dried Tomato and Sausage Pasta – Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce – Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Chipotle Honey Lime Pork Tenderloin – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Roasted Shrimp With Chili-Lime Sauce – Magnolia Days
- Peanut Butter Noodles – In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinated Flank – That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Beef Tenderloin with Stilton Pecan Butter – Noshing With The Nolands
- Herbed Butter Pork Chops – Brie’s Bites
- Creamy Ham Linguine – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Pesto, Tomato & Feta Pizza – Momma’s Meals
- Quick Black Bean Burritos – Diabetic Foodie
- Lumachine with Fresh Parmesan and Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Stuffed Shells – Cravings of a Lunatic
- Potato Kugel – From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Garlic Butter Fried Rice – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Goat Cheese Alfredo – Family Foodie
- Roasted Moroccan Rack of Lamb – Maroc Mama
- Sweet and Nutty Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes – Mama.Mommy.Mom.
- Baked Sweet Potato with Maple-Jalapeno – Comfy Cuisine
- Freezable Bacon Egg and Cheese Sandwiches – Big Bear’s Wife
- Grilled Polenta Cakes – Lovely Pantry
- Nutella Ice Cream – Shockingly Delicious
- Fresh Mint Ice Cream with Mint M&M’s – The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Mango Parfait with Greek Yogurt & Silvered Almonds – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Honey Macaroons – Pippis In the Kitchen Again
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt – Damn Delicious
- Homemade Caramel Sauce – Chocolate Moosey
- Easy Chocolate Chilli Fudge – Soni’s Food for Thought
- White-Chocolate Raspberry Puff Pastry Doughnuts – The Weekend Gourmet
- Easy No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars – In The Kitchen With KP
- Chocolate-Caramel Ice Cream – Basic N Delicious
- Pumpkin and Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake – Baker Street
- Peanut Butter Cup Popcorn – Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Five Most Food Friendly Wines – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Please be sure to join us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper. We’ll be meeting up at 7:00 pm (EST) for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat where we’ll talk about our favorite 5 ingredient recipes! All you have to do is follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, or you can follow us through TweetChat! We’d also love to feature your 5 ingredient recipes on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board and share them with all of our followers!