Here is a recipe I make often because we love bell peppers and orzo. And each time, I add more ingredients and try to change it up. The great thing about this recipe is, you can basically put anything you want inside these babies. . so add as few or as many ingredients as you like. Go crazy! Include sausage or exclude it. Totally up to you.
You will probably have some leftover orzo with veggies (or you can just make more). . we usually give this to the kids since they don’t adore bell peppers like my husband and I. Dinner for everyone!
I hope you enjoy!
Stuffed Bell Peppers with Orzo
- 5-6 large bell peppers (any color)
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ cup yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 5-6 mushrooms, chopped (I used cremini mushrooms)
- 1 cup kale, finely chopped
- 2 turkey or chicken sausages chopped (can substitute with ground beef or pork)
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups orzo pasta
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 2 cups water or chicken broth (used to cook the orzo)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1-2 cups mozzarella cheese or crumbled feta cheese (depending on how much you want to add)
- Preheat the oven to 375. Remove the tops from the peppers and scoop out the seeds and ribs. Carefully trim the bottoms (if necessary) to ensure the peppers stand straight when upright. Place a steamer rack over a few inches of boiling water, or set a colander over a couple of inches boiling water in a large stock pot. Place the bell peppers in the steamer and cover. Steam for 10 minutes, and move to a baking dish or casserole.
- Chop all of your vegetables (onions, yellow or orange bell pepper, kale, mushrooms etc) and the sausage. I remove the casing from the sausage; this is recommended. Remember, you are using all of this as your filling/stuffing for the bell peppers so you want everything chopped pretty small. When finished, heat olive oil in a pan or wok and stir-fry everything for about 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepot with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add the orzo and brown lightly, and then add the garlic and stir. After 30 seconds stir in the water or chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- When the orzo is ready, mix with with your cooked veggies and sausage. Season with some of the parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the peppers with the filling. Drizzle some olive oil over the peppers, pouring a little less than 1 tablespoon over top of each. Arrange the peppers in a casserole or small baking dish and roast for 40-50 minutes, until crispy at the edges and everything is cooked through.
- Heat the tomato sauce about 2-3 minutes before the bell peppers are ready. Then, pour into your serving dish, or on top of your bell peppers; immediately after the bell peppers have come out of the oven. Place onto the dish and top with mozzarella or feta cheese and sprinkle some more parsley! Serve immediately while the peppers are still HOT!