Super Simple Vegetarian Lo Mein
This is a bare bones vegetarian lo mein recipe, using only an onion and some scallions. Perfect for a meatless meal!!
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 Pinch salt
- 1 pound spaghetti pasta cooked
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup mushroom broth * plus more if needed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons soy sauce plus more if needed
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce plus more if needed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetarian Chinese oyster sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons brown rice vinegar
- 2 Scallions finely diced for garnish
- 1 to 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds for garnish
Using a large sauté pan or skillet, heat your oil over medium-high heat. After a minute or two, add the onions and sauté for about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and season with salt and continue sautéing for a few minutes longer.
Add the cooked pasta into the pan along and drizzle with the sesame oil. Add in the mushroom broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, vinegar and a handful of scallions. Using tongs, toss together for a few minutes, or until the noodles are well coated and heated through. Taste and adjust any ingredients as needed.
Garnish with more diced green onions and roasted sesame seeds and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- If you don't have mushroom broth, you can use vegetable stock or broth.