Orecchiette with Cremini Mushrooms and Kale
Normally, I do not cook the mushrooms and onions together, but I am going for a quicker meal here and, in this case, I don't mind the extra liquid. If you have the time, cook the onions and mushrooms separately and then toss altogether with the kale at the end.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1/2 lb 8 oz. orecchiette pasta
- 2 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 2-3 cups cremini mushrooms chopped
- 4-5 cups 100% baby kale stems removed and roughly chopped if desired
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- fresh parsley finely chopped as garnish (optional)
Bring salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente, for about 10 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving about a 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. After a minute or 2, add the onions and mushrooms and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, for about 7-8 minutes.
Add the kale, garlic and pasta into the saucepan and allow to cook for about 2-3 minutes. Mix to combine everything, pouring in some of the reserved pasta water (start with just a 1/4 cup) if you need to loosen up the pasta. Season with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and add a little fresh parsley if desired. Serve immediately and add the freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano on top! Be generous with the Parmigiano-Reggiano.