Moroccan Chickpea and Carrot Salad
Prep time includes one hour of marinating time.
Prep Time1 hr 20 mins
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 4 to 6
For the spice mixture:
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
For the salad:
- 2 pounds carrots peeled and sliced thin using a mandoline slicer (about 4 cups)
- 3 cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 3 cucumbers unpeeled and sliced thin using a mandoline slicer and cut in half
- 1 to 2 red onions peeled and sliced thin
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + more if needed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons white or red wine vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- drizzle of honey optional
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
For the spice mixture: Using a small bowl, combine the spice mixture ingredients and set aside.
For the salad: Using a large mixing bowl, mix together the carrots, chickpeas, cucumbers and red onions.
For the dressing: whisk together the olive oil, garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon juice and a drizzle of honey. Taste and adjust any ingredients as needed.
To make the salad: Sprinkle on the spice mixture over the carrots, cucumbers and red onions. Drizzle on the dressing and add in the cilantro and parsley. Mix well to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If you can, cover and refrigerate and allow to marinate for at least an hour or 2 before serving.