Butternut Squash Turkey Chili
*Note for the cook: the butternut squash should already be cubed and roasted before beginning this chili. You can do this a day ahead and store the cooked butternut squash in the refrigerator.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time55 mins
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 onion peeled and finely diced
- 1 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- pinch of nutmeg
- kosher salt
- 1 28 ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes (if needed)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 heaping cups roasted butternut squash cubed
- Garnish: roasted delicata and carnival squash
- fresh parsley for garnish
Using a dutch oven (cast iron cookware), or heavy bottomed pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the ground turkey and cook all of the turkey until it's mostly browned. Add in the onions, carrots and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add in the chopped red bell pepper and mix to incorporate for a few minutes.
Add in the chili powder, cumin, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Stir together and then add in both cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes. Add in the black beans and garbanzo beans. Mix together and let cook for a few minutes. Season with more salt and pepper.
Add the cubed, roasted butternut squash and turn down the heat to a low simmer. Let simmer and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes. Taste, season with more salt and pepper if needed, and serve.
To serve: garnish with roasted delicata and carnival squash if desired. Sprinkle on fresh finely diced parsley and serve with crusty bread. Enjoy!