Slow Cooker Hot Apple Cider
Equipment: 5-quart or larger slow cooker if possible
- 1 medium orange sliced (leave rind on)
- 1 medium apple sliced (leave skin on)
- 1 gallon apple cider or unfiltered apple juice
- 1 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, cut into pieces
- 5 3-inch cinnamon sticks + more for serving
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 4 star anise pods optional
Place orange and apple slices into a 5-quart or larger slow cooker. Pour in the apple cider and add in the ginger, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and star anise pods.
Cover the slow cooker and cook until the flavors meld, 4 hours on LOW. (If there are clumps of spices floating at the top that you wish to remove, strain the cider through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth into a large pot.) Keep warm and serve in mugs garnished with additional orange slices and cinnamon sticks if desired.