Sheet Pan Meatballs
These meatballs can also be cooked in a pan or skillet on the stovetop. Recipe makes about 28 meatballs.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 lb. Italian sausage removed from casing
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 to 1 cup panko or Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
Using a large mixing bowl, mix together all of the ingredients*. Lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with some oil. Form and shape meatballs and place on the baking sheet 1/2" apart. Try not to make the meatballs too large. If too big, they will take longer to cook and you want to ensure they are cooked completely.
Roast meatballs until lightly browned and cooked through, for about 10 minutes. Then, switch the oven to the broil setting, and broil for about 3 to 4 minutes. This will help brown the meatballs a little. Enjoy the meatballs with pasta, in a sandwich or in soup!
*If you'd like to taste the meatballs to ensure they are seasoned properly and to your taste, form and shape a single meatball and cook in the oven, or in a pan or skillet on the stovetop.
To freeze to serve later:
- Form and shape the meatballs and place on a separate baking sheet. Freeze on sheets until firm, for about 1 hour. Transfer to an airtight container or resealable plastic bag and freeze up to 3 months.
- To cook meatballs from frozen, preheat oven to 500°F. Lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with oil. Transfer desired amount of frozen meatballs to prepared sheet and roast, turning once halfway through, until lightly browned and cooked through, for about 12 to 14 minutes. You can also hit these under the broiler if desired, just for a few minutes after baking.