This recipe will yield about 3 3/4 cups of cauliflower pesto.
- 1 small 13-ounce head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup unsalted almonds may substitute pine nuts
- 2 or 3 sun-dried tomatoes I use the ones in jars with olive oil
- 1- ounce chunk pecorino-Romano cheese or Parmigiano-Reggiano; cut into chunks
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup green olives
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- About 8 flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes or more as needed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar + more if needed to taste
- season with salt
Cut the cauliflower into chunks, placing them into the food processor. Pulse to form couscous-like crumbs, then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Place everything else into the food processor down to the parsley. Pulse to form a coarse bread-crumb consistency, then add the mixture to the cauliflower in the large mixing bowl, along with the crushed red pepper flakes.
Stir in the olive oil, 2 teaspoons of the vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt (by hand) to form a pesto like mixture. Taste and add more salt if necessary.