Penne Salad with Beef, Dijon and Arugula
If you have time, using your dry rub, season your steak beforehand (on both sides) and leave in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap, for at least an hour.
- 1 lb. New York strip steak, flank steak or Ribeye steak
- 2 tablespoons herbs de Provence plus garlic OR your favorite dry rub
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 to 3 cups fresh arugula or spring greens mix
Season the steak with your dry rub (or salt and freshly ground black pepper, herbs de Provence, and minced garlic). In a skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Cook your steak for about 5-7 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the steak. Remove from the pan and let rest for about 5 minutes, before slicing. Set aside. (To see my "How to Cook A Steak in the Oven" Method, click the link below.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the penne pasta and cook to al dente, stirring occasionally, for about 9 to 12 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, your fresh herbs, and 3/4 cup olive oil. In a separate, large bowl toss the pasta with half of the salad dressing. Add the arugula and steak, more dressing, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper if needed. Toss together one last time and serve immediately. Enjoy!
"How to Cook A Steak in the Oven" Method, click here.